Adding boost to tps load base map

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
Mobne_s13

Adding boost to tps load base map

Postby Mobne_s13 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:29 pm

Im in the situation now that Im going to boost my m3 engine with individual throttle bodies.

Engine fuel and ignition map is tps based and goes 0-100% tps.

Now with boost, the maps are already fully tuned.
So I guess I will have to use some sort of boost compensation tables.

The elite 2500 have 1.5bar mapsensor already wired in. But I don’t really use it atm because of the maps being tps load.

How do I do this correctly?
I must lower ignition timing on boost and add fuel.

Please help.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: Adding boost to tps load base map

Postby HaltechMatthew » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:19 pm

MAP should reference vacuum and boost. Internal is a 3 bar in the Elite.

Mobne_s13

Postby Mobne_s13 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Since there is individual throttle bodies there is almost no vacuum. That’s why it’s based of tps now.

I have found out now that fuel map should still be tps based and ignition needs to be changed to map.

How exactly does the map correction for the boost work?

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:04 pm

When tuning with VE the MAP is always taken into account. You can open a MAP correction table to adjust if this linear correction is not perfect for your application.

Hardware wise you should have a vacuum pickup from each running going to a small vacuum tank, and the MAP sensor connected to this. Vacuum will be low but it is present and will impact the tuning.

Mobne_s13

Postby Mobne_s13 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:16 pm

Yes i have my ecu mapsensor connected to that “vacuum” station from each throttle bodies.

But I don’t want to tune the fuelmap from that map input because it won’t run good.
Did try that first and it didn’t work well. That’s why I changed it to tps.

There must be a boost compensation table to use when running tps based map??
As it is now the engine is fully tuned N/A and only need to compensate for positive boost.

Isn’t it a compensation table for that? Can’t be forced to run mapsensor load for fuel???

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:21 am

You are misreading, and I will try to explain a little clearer.

When tuning with TPS as the load input in VE, the MAP sensor is always referenced (as well). It is part of the algorithm to reference the air pressure. So you would leave the MAP connected but tune over TPS. If you decide that you would like to add some correction over MAP on top of this you can enable the MAP Correction table and trim it from there.

This MAP Correction table is typically mapped for boost applications by simply mapping the Base table off the wastegate boost pressure, and then as you change the boost from there you will only use the MAP Correction table to tune for the effects of turbo efficiency changes.

I will give you a small example of why you still use it under vacuum. Lets say you simply turn on the headlights, which loads up the alternator which loads up the engine. The throttle has not moved, but the manifold pressure definitely will. If you purely mapped of TPS you would not correct for this load change.

Mobne_s13

Postby Mobne_s13 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:34 pm

Thanks, now it was crystal clear :)

Then my setup is completely correct having mapsensor conmected to the vacuum supply.

I just need to change the ignition to map based again.

The ecu will automatically apply extra fuel for possitive pressure. And I just make a small correction for different turbo efficiency. To me
This sound really good. Guess the tuning will be easy then.

Return to “Elite Series”