What sensors should I get 3sgte + rev limiter?

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
wilhelm101

What sensors should I get 3sgte + rev limiter?

Postby wilhelm101 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Hi i’m about to have an Elite 1500 installed on my Celica GT4 3sgte 3rd gen and a few Leaner questions.

1. Do I need to get a wide band sensor when im not running big power? (only looking for about 50bhp above stock 300bhp)

2. If I add sensors such as coolant temp, oil temp/pressure, air temp does the elite actually use these as part of a map or is the point to monitor vitals and set triggers for engine protection. Considering just using seperate gauges.

3. I am keeping my dizzy will I be able to set up a rev limiter still?

Cheers

W

ausjd2703

Re: What sensors should I get 3sgte + rev limiter?

Postby ausjd2703 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:15 am

i am running an elite 1000 on a gen 3 forged motor making 240awkw.

1. wideband is a great safety net in my opinion set up O2 engine protection, its also nice to know that your tune isn't drifting or if a certain condition such as cold winter day isnt running to lean. CAN WB1 is the pick for haltech. power imo is irrelevant, 300hp is a fair bit on stock cast piston especially with stock cams and turbo.

2.coolant and air temp are a must have, oil pressure and fuel pressure are nearly a must have imo. oil temp is nice on the 3sgte but if you plan to track the car you will need a oil cooler regardless stock oil temps go over 125'c on track.
you havnt mentioned a knock sensor but thats also a must have, you will need a new knock sensor i believe the toyota ones dont give a great signal.

all the above should be used to control engine protection, i wouldn't bother with gauges except for coolant temp and maybe boost, also a racepak dash is cost effective if your looking at about 3-4 quality gauges so keep that in mind.

3. dizzy wont affect limiter function, you can run full sequential ignition and injection. 7500rpm is fairly safe for a healthy gen 3 how ever you are well out the power band so the engine is out the efficency window and will produce more heat (high coolant temps).

elisonmercera

Postby elisonmercera » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:24 pm

The more information you feed the ecu, the better it can perform with regards to engine protection and advising you if something is wrong. I suggest you have a conversation with your tuner and he will probably give you the most vital inputs the ecu needs for your setup. A wideband, coolant temp, air temp and oil pressure sensor are the most basic things you would need. You can add fuel pressure sensor, oil temp sensor, egt's, wheel speed etc etc and so on.

wilhelm101

Postby wilhelm101 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks for the replies. Just a bit of detail on the setup ausjd2703 I am running forged pistons, GT2860, fmic and highflow fuel pump.

Yep i’ll have a chat to the tuner they are doing alot of the track and rally cars down here in tas so assume they now what they are doing. Sounds like a wide band def needs to go in.

jays22b

Postby jays22b » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:14 am

more sensor's is more info . Plus if ur ecu has the functions these's sensor's can be programmed to limit engine or shut down. Such as oil line pressure drops with blown hose would be instant shut down as were higher oil/water temps limit the motor. Plus the data grabs are full of great info on how ur car is running and if u dont have these sensor's u cant see the em.

TRD-021

Postby TRD-021 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:43 pm

I would recommend the Haltech CAN Gauge, I have one on my grpA GT4 and its awesome, no need for a lap top to see real time data from the ecu

Return to “Elite Series”