NZ Wiring CAM Trigger (Bosch Reluctor) for RB25 Setup Issue

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
trak-life

NZ Wiring CAM Trigger (Bosch Reluctor) for RB25 Setup Issue

Postby trak-life » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Hey All,

Having a hard time getting this kit to work on my personal car:
https://www.nzwiring.com/index.php/serv ... gger-kits/

It utilises only a CAM trigger with a 24 -1 teeth configuration and a Bosch VR Reluctor Sensor.
It has been connected to the GND and 1 degree sense PIN, i.e. 1 and 3 on the OEM CAS for a RB25 NEO.

Now the problem is, I'm getting no sync/home and no RPM count.
Thinking the disc on the CAM gear may be the issue, I tried running the VR sensor across metal and still nothing was recorded/detected by the ECU.

Here are my settings below, the offset is pretty high as Haltech doesn't allow a BTDC setting of 98 (as per instructions from NZ Wiring), so I took 720 and subtracted it by 98 to get a rough value of 622 degrees. NZ Wiring said about 630 should be able to start the car, however I'm struggling.

Is there anything I've set wrong here? Car was running fine with the OEM R34 CAS, however at high RPM it kept throwing trigger errors hence the change to a different setup

Capture.PNG

Peterson

Re: NZ Wiring CAM Trigger (Bosch Reluctor) for RB25 Setup Issue

Postby Peterson » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:37 am

Set edge at rising and retry.

trak-life

Postby trak-life » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:56 am

Peterson wrote:Set edge at rising and retry.

I've tried both unfortunately and nothing :(

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:11 am

If you are not getting a trigger tooth count then the ECU is not seeing the signal from the sensor. Being reluctor you should have used the Yellow Trigger + wire and the Green Trigger - wire from our loom. You maybe have the tooth gap too large, or the voltages set too high in the Trigger Arming Table. Your configuration looks correct.

On a side note it is time for a minor rant.
These type of trigger kits dont solve the issue of the RB trigger system. It is not the pattern of the teeth that is the problem, it is where it is located. Being on the end of a wobbly cam off a flappy belt is the problem. Crank trigger kits solve the problem, not different cam trigger kits. Just an FYI but I can send the Nissan Optical pattern into the ECU up t

trak-life

Postby trak-life » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:35 am

HaltechMatthew wrote:If you are not getting a trigger tooth count then the ECU is not seeing the signal from the sensor. Being reluctor you should have used the Yellow Trigger + wire and the Green Trigger - wire from our loom. You maybe have the tooth gap too large, or the voltages set too high in the Trigger Arming Table. Your configuration looks correct.

On a side note it is time for a minor rant.
These type of trigger kits dont solve the issue of the RB trigger system. It is not the pattern of the teeth that is the problem, it is where it is located. Being on the end of a wobbly cam off a flappy belt is the problem. Crank trigger kits solve the problem, not different cam trigger kits. Just an FYI but I can send the Nissan Optical pattern into the ECU up t

Thanks Mr Hitman :D
Time to swap a bunch of wires around on the CAS, it was supposed to be a "plug & pray" kit - albeit, made for Link.

In RE to the rant, I know the cam trigger kit doesn't really solve the whole issue with the cam belt stretching at high load, however I do noticed trigger errors quite often at high RPM and/or when the limiter is kissed. I'm guessing the aged Nissan CAS might be failing, also very common issue with Nissans.

I did a R34 recently with a faulty CAS and the car wouldn't even take timing. Started knocking with 8 degrees of timing with about 0.8bar of boost. Changed the CAS and happy days - albeit, this was with a Nistune.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:19 pm

Yes the optical units do have their own issues, just whenever you are looking to replace it go for a crank based unit to main issues.

But I do like reluctor sensors so it is good to see a kit using one.

trak-life

Postby trak-life » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:38 pm

HaltechMatthew wrote:Yes the optical units do have their own issues, just whenever you are looking to replace it go for a crank based unit to main issues.

But I do like reluctor sensors so it is good to see a kit using one.

I might have to at the rate this "budget" build is going, but I'll get the reluctor setup going first then see where the setup goes.

Working late tonight? might bump into you

trak-life

Postby trak-life » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:33 pm

Still can't seem to get it to work, when using the 5V supply instead of GND (as suggested by NZ Wiring) I do get random trigger events, but nothing consistent.

I've changed the trigger arming voltage from 0.20 to 0.10 to 0.15 to 0.30, and added Level 1 filtering with the Ground Reference turned on to get some form of trigger event, however no consistent RPM is ever picked up.

Not sure if it's sensor related? I'm using a Bosch 0 261 210 147 (made in Romania) as supplied by NZ Wiring.

I'm hoping someone here has it running on their car and able to show me what they've setup.

Return to “Elite Series”