Switching a ground output to posative? Coils

Questions about the Elite Software Programmer? Ask here.
LotusEsprit1000

Switching a ground output to posative? Coils

Postby LotusEsprit1000 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:01 am

This is related to another post. I have a coil on plug system that needs to be fed posative from the ECU nopt ground. How do I switch this?
I am using PN 06E 905 115 E AKA audi red top 115 coil.

LotusEsprit1000

NO NEED!

Postby LotusEsprit1000 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:35 pm

THERE IS NO NEED TO DO THIS ON THE R8 coil or any known coil!

Also Edge for the R8/ audi 4 wire red top that comes on mose post 03 engines is falling (<---- Not confirmed but 99% chance.)
The ground signal will come after the pin goes high. High = charge low = fire. There is nothing that needs to change in the ESP. I am checking the dwell but under 3ms is a good thing.

Thank you to Lance who explained it better than me for the info.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: Switching a ground output to posative? Coils

Postby HaltechMatthew » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:16 pm

Almost all OEM ignitors, whether internally in the coil or external boxes, use the same method of firing. In our system you will set Constant Charge with Falling edge, and this is how it comes set up by default. The dwell or charge time is dependent on the coil and not the ignitor. It can be measured with a scope and a DC current clamp. You will start low and increase the charge time until the current does not increase anymore. Very easy to find.

The only exceptions to these settings are a handful of old 1980s cars that used a duty signal but also a Falling edge, most US built CDI systems like MSD that use Constant Duty 50% Rising, and some 1990's Honda distributors which use Constant Charge Rising.

Just a note that you cannot just "test" other settings. Selecting the wrong edge has the same effect as inverting the signal. So instead of your 3ms charge time you can get seconds of charge time and smoke coming out of places it shouldn't.

We do not directly drive coils from the universal ECU range. The coil needs to have an ignitor either internal or external. Your "R8" coils common to just about all of the FSI engines have internal ignitors. Some of our plug in range do have ignitors built into the ECU but this is only for those particular models.

Return to “Elite Software Programmer (ESP)”