Traction Control

Questions about the Elite Software Programmer? Ask here.
Topfun99

Traction Control

Postby Topfun99 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:32 pm

Maybe I'm missing something but it appears that there is no "traction control" for a drag car like mine that only has a driveshaft rpm sensor available. I know how it can be done with just the DSS, but right now the Elite software isn't set up to do it.

Forget the strategy of using front/rear sensors for comparison for a serious rear wheel drag car - too many of us carry the front tires in the air down the track for 20+ feet.

Am I missing something already there or will something be available in the future?

blakebonkofsky

Re: Traction Control

Postby blakebonkofsky » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:21 pm

I have heard that the 2.09 FW release is going to be chocked full of drag racing oriented updates, I'm hoping that driveshaft mapping is one of them. It can be done right now, although somewhat crudely, using an ignition modifier and boost modifier. Basically setup a table using DSS and time as the axis. Build the table using your "ideal" DSS vs. Time (from a datalog) and put zeros along that line, then timing adjustments any time the DSS is higher than it should be. No idea how well this would work in the real world, this is just what I've come up with from poking around in the software.

Topfun99

Postby Topfun99 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:11 pm

An effective traction control is a little more complicated then simply mapping driveshaft speed vs. time.

What's needed is a map that recognized DSS rate of change which is essentially acceleration. If you map DSS rate of change vs. DSS, this will always keep you closer if you actually spin slightly and recover. Using DSS vs. time, once you spin you are no longer on the correct section of the map. Spinning slows your car speed (DSS) vs. the time set up on the axis so it will not able to recognize the next "spin". This is because the time axis now has shifted to the right where it thinks the higher DSS is okay.

Using the DSS rate of change vs. DSS should stay close since at any vehicle speed the car should accelerate at a somewhat predictable rate. However, I suspect the DSS rate of change vs. DSS map may need another correction Map or Table associated with it that will apply the "correction" (timing retard or cylinder misfiring) with a predetermined strategy to help the car "recover". This is because once it recognizes the tires are spinning, it has to "slow" the DSS rate down to regain traction. It's complicated to explain, but depending on the several factors, this may mean that the DSS acceleration rate may drop to an "acceptable" level before the tires have fully recovered and the correction will go away. If there is a "pre-assigned" control based on how bad the tires are spinning, it will reduce and reapply power accordingly.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:36 am

Not everyone is into drag racing. 8)

Traction Control is for street and just about all other forms of motorsport. Drag specific features have been in development for a while and are coming soon.

Topfun99

Postby Topfun99 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:09 am

HaltechMatthew wrote:Not everyone is into drag racing. 8)

Traction Control is for street and just about all other forms of motorsport. Drag specific features have been in development for a while and are coming soon.

What? There are other things you can do with a car? :shock:

Yes, I've heard of the drag specific features. Hurry.....please. 8)

RedLimitDom

Postby RedLimitDom » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:19 pm

Topfun99 wrote:An effective traction control is a little more complicated then simply mapping driveshaft speed vs. time.

What's needed is a map that recognized DSS rate of change which is essentially acceleration.

Reminds me of school.

When in doubt, integrate!! We're kind of going the other direction here but still :roll: nerd
Dominick

03 Evo 8 (2.3L / 10.5:1 / Full Flex Fuel / 2500 Elite+CanExpander)

rossotc

Postby rossotc » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:43 am

I have tried doing some traction control with setting up a generic ignition correction table
with the table setup with driveshaft RPM vs Driveshaft RPM Derivative.
and then taking away some timing in the part of the map where I think there is wheel spin
I have tried with about -5 to start with.
it really upsets the engine like it is doing a spark cut not just a retard by 5 degrees
any ideas what is happening?

Return to “Elite Software Programmer (ESP)”