GM 3800 V6 trigger angle question!

Questions about the Elite Software Programmer? Ask here.
Cristian

GM 3800 V6 trigger angle question!

Postby Cristian » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:04 pm

I'm having issues setting up the trigger angle on the above mentioned engine. I have tried using the 3x and 18x signal and I can only get the car to start and run with an angle of 15 degrees or less or 719 - 710 degrees on both crank triggers. I have used the Generic multi tooth - single tooth home and also the standard full cycle sync with no avail.

Obviously there is something wrong, has anyone seen this before? Is there a simple fix? Would I be right to assume that when the new cam and cam gear was installed that the cam pickup was fitted in the incorect spot?

Thanks in advance.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: GM 3800 V6 trigger angle question!

Postby HaltechMatthew » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:03 am

My old man brain is fading but I have memory of the 3x when wired directly to the ECU that is must use the Rising edge. The slots are non-equal length and using Falling causes timing errors between cylinders. When letting the factory module handle the sequencing and taking the normal signal that the OEM ECU would have used the edge is Falling.

I am not certain but fairly sure the 18x are equal sized so the edge does not matter.

The actual TDC Offset itself can be any number from 0-720. Just tracked down an old map sent to me from someone running the 3800 with the 18x and the angle is 460 and uses Falling edges for both. I cant verify that is correct though.

Return to “Elite Software Programmer (ESP)”