What are your O2 Control PID Values?

Questions about the Elite Software Programmer? Ask here.
RedLimitDom

What are your O2 Control PID Values?

Postby RedLimitDom » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:16 am

Just wanted to throw a feeler out there to see what anyone else has found.

I have been playing adding more P at the higher loads to make the learning do something at higher loads. I feel like even 300 is pretty lazy to make adjustments to the LTFT table.

Thoughts?
Attachments
8-21-2017 5-12-48 PM.gif
8-21-2017 5-12-45 PM.gif
8-21-2017 5-12-34 PM.gif
Dominick

03 Evo 8 (2.3L / 10.5:1 / Full Flex Fuel / 2500 Elite+CanExpander)

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: What are your O2 Control PID Values?

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:53 pm

If you are talking wideband, then far more integral to push it to the target quicker when it is just a little off. In most cases in the region of 500 to 1000 under high load and rpm. Too much Proportional will make it oscillate around the target if you go too far.

Slash200

Postby Slash200 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:35 am

Hi Matt,

Sorry to resurrect this old thread.
Is it possible that you post a real-world example of PID Settings of a car running a wideband?

regards

Mobne_s13

Postby Mobne_s13 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:17 am

I would also like to se an example of the pic maps for a car running the Haltech wideband controller.

I know it can’t be directly applied to all cars but could be a starting point anyway.

Please help us out!

Mobne_s13

Postby Mobne_s13 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:16 pm

Anyone?

Drwaffles

Postby Drwaffles » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:10 pm

I used the default Proportional values from their basemap.

Integral I did a little differently to what i've seen anybody do.. For me it works.
I wanted a high integral but too high and it would overshoot as the error reduced. So this way it get's less aggressive the closer it gets to zero error (I know it inherently does that anyway, but found it helped personally)

No Derivative, found it created oscillation when too high and was just easier to leave at zero.

And LTFT Gain I setup so it only makes aggressive learning when there's minimal error.

EZ30

RedLimitDom

Postby RedLimitDom » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:11 am

I like the use of the 02 Error to change the PID Values. I think i could be kind of double compensating thought because being further off target will directly effect the P value, but being further off target doesn't necessarily impact the "I", so increasing "I" when your further off target is almost the same as having a larger "P"......

Do you agree?
Dominick

Drwaffles

Postby Drwaffles » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:54 am

P is a relative calculation yes, the larger the error the larger the response.
For me P is basically to catch large swings if they occur.. Let's say your IAT dies or you've got one cell that's 20% higher or lower than the others by accident. P does a great job at reacting to large changes and stopping them from being as dramatic.

Integral is the hero, it's supposed to reduce the AFR error to zero, but I just found it too slow to get that error down. When I bumped up the base map integral enough to make it quick it seemed to overshoot on the medium errors. This way it deems it more urgent to get larger errors down quicker and back off the aggression when the error is smaller.. I'm not saying it's the most effective use of the PID system, but it got me an improvement so for now I'm happy.

Think of P as an instant correction based on the error.
Think of I as a timer (1,2,3,4,5) the larger the integral the larger jumps that timer will keep adding up until error is zero (1,3,5,7,9)
If they system is too aggressive, it'll take too much IPW out/in before the mixture has had a chance to go past the O2 sensor
Looking at a line graph of your integral and Proportional helps understand how they function.

I'd personally like to know what the RAW values correspond to; would make it a little easier to understand.
MOTEC list the units description for their PID systems if I recall.

RedLimitDom

Postby RedLimitDom » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:58 pm

I understand your point. I want to try something similar. I am still working on trying to make the 02 feedback more aggressive at higher load/Rpms because I can not stay steady-state at the higher loads for long. Even at wastegate pressure in 5th gear the engine ramps through the range too fast for the feedback system to really do any learning. So I have been resorting to brake pulls or log tuning (which is quite painful on the Haltech).

I want to do a small case study where I dial the car in at a condition and then bump 5%-->10% on the map and see how quickly it corrects itself in both cases. The normal and with the error based tables.

I miss the MOTEC days, but since I no longer get an employee discount, I am going to try to push the Haltech to its potential. I am actually trying to be more active on here to try to expand the depth of this forum. The more we all know the better we can help each other work through the issues.

Thanks for the input, I will try to share what I find when I try it.

Dominick
Dominick

Return to “Elite Software Programmer (ESP)”