Elite wire harness relay temp

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
65fastback

Elite wire harness relay temp

Postby 65fastback » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:03 am

Hey team-

I have a couple Haltech ECU’s with the premium harness. I am having a hard time understanding if there is an issue with the wiring from haltech as the relay temps are VERY warm. Using a thermal imaging camera I find the ECU, ignition and injector relays are ~105’F, while the fuel pump relay is 80’F (which is room temp). How warm/hot is “to warm/hot”? Obviously all we are hooking up is power & ground and the ECU is powered up, and a wire to the 8 injectors for the power source and another to the 8 coils (gym 585 units).

Again 3 of the relays are 105’f which seems oddly hot...

blakebonkofsky

Re: Elite wire harness relay temp

Postby blakebonkofsky » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:59 am

An active relay does create some heat, even without a load. I've never measured temp, but 105* doesn't sound excessive. The fuel pump relay isn't getting hot because it's not staying on, just running for a few seconds to prime and then shutting off.

65fastback

Postby 65fastback » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks for the follow-up, I was thinking maybe the relays were designed for switching and not continuous duty. But if others are seeing similar situations maybe I’m just being paranoid. Again thanks a ton for your insight.

JimKden

Postby JimKden » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:22 am

Normal amp draw in the control coil is approx. 0.16 amps for a Bosch relay, For 12V relay that means less than 1watt power draw. Seems like some checking is order if they relays run hot.

Return to “Elite Series”