E6X with IGN 1A Coils Compatability

vcs2340

E6X with IGN 1A Coils Compatability

Postby vcs2340 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:36 pm

Hello,

I am running an E6X with 4 IGN 1A coils with wasted spark.
Coils 1 and 4 are wired together to the ignition 1 wire and coils 2 and 3 are wired together to the ignition 2 wire. The engine runs pretty well and has been on the dyno for a tune however one of the coils melted down during idle a few weeks ago. I got a new IGN 1A coil and the dealer suggested that I check the voltage on the trigger wires coming from the haltech and if there was zero volts with key on engine off I would be good to go. I checked and found 11.5 volts at the trigger wires for both sets of coils.

I talked with the tuner who setup the program and he said,
it is set to constant dwell of 3.5 msec right now to try and no overheat the coil.

I have been reading though the forum a bit and have not see a post about this issue. I read that a lot of people are using the ls1 coils, not sure if that would solve my issue.

Is there a different setting in the software I could use so my coils do not over heat?

Let me know if you need more info.
The setup is on a BMW E30 with a turbo M10 engine.

Thank you for your time,

Spencer V.

SlickNick

Re: E6X with IGN 1A Coils Compatability

Postby SlickNick » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:08 am

Make sure you have the right spark edge setting. Either rising or falling. The wrong one will fry your coils in short order. Ask me how I know that...

Return to “E6X/E6GMX/F10X”