E6X with IGN 1A Coils Compatability

vcs2340

E6X with IGN 1A Coils Compatability

Postby vcs2340 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:36 pm

Hello,

I am running an E6X with 4 IGN 1A coils with wasted spark.
Coils 1 and 4 are wired together to the ignition 1 wire and coils 2 and 3 are wired together to the ignition 2 wire. The engine runs pretty well and has been on the dyno for a tune however one of the coils melted down during idle a few weeks ago. I got a new IGN 1A coil and the dealer suggested that I check the voltage on the trigger wires coming from the haltech and if there was zero volts with key on engine off I would be good to go. I checked and found 11.5 volts at the trigger wires for both sets of coils.

I talked with the tuner who setup the program and he said,
it is set to constant dwell of 3.5 msec right now to try and no overheat the coil.

I have been reading though the forum a bit and have not see a post about this issue. I read that a lot of people are using the ls1 coils, not sure if that would solve my issue.

Is there a different setting in the software I could use so my coils do not over heat?

Let me know if you need more info.
The setup is on a BMW E30 with a turbo M10 engine.

Thank you for your time,

Spencer V.

SlickNick

Re: E6X with IGN 1A Coils Compatability

Postby SlickNick » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:08 am

Make sure you have the right spark edge setting. Either rising or falling. The wrong one will fry your coils in short order. Ask me how I know that...

Dhanson31

Postby Dhanson31 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:35 am

vcs2340 wrote:Hello,

I am running an E6X with 4 IGN 1A coils with wasted spark.
Coils 1 and 4 are wired together to the ignition 1 wire and coils 2 and 3 are wired together to the ignition 2 wire. The engine runs pretty well and has been on the dyno for a tune however one of the coils melted down during idle a few weeks ago. I got a new IGN 1A coil and the dealer suggested that I check the voltage on the trigger wires coming from the haltech and if there was zero volts with key on engine off I would be good to go. I checked and found 11.5 volts at the trigger wires for both sets of coils.

I talked with the tuner who setup the program and he said,
it is set to constant dwell of 3.5 msec right now to try and no overheat the coil.

I have been reading though the forum a bit and have not see a post about this issue. I read that a lot of people are using the ls1 coils, not sure if that would solve my issue.

Is there a different setting in the software I could use so my coils do not over heat?

Let me know if you need more info.
The setup is on a BMW E30 with a turbo M10 engine.

Thank you for your time,

Spencer V.

Did you ever figure this issue out?

Croadster

Postby Croadster » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:03 am

Hello,

I don't know if this helps but this is what I am going through at the moment. I have a 2010 Suzuki Swift M15A engine in a project car, I am trying to get an Elite 1500 to run this engine and have come to a coil issue as well.

It has the same wasted spark format on 1 & 4 and 2 & 3, I set the ignition to constant charge which I now believe should be set to constant time/dwell angle, which having to leave the ignition on to set up the Elite 1500 may have over heated my coils but the other possible cause for the over heated coils could be the trigger. As further investigation of the Suzuki service manual I found that the coil trigger in the OEM ECU uses a rising 5 volt trigger where the Elite supplies a rising 12 volt trigger, I am in the process of procuring two more coil packs, but I am concerned the 12 volt rising trigger may be the real cause of the now dead coil packs, maybe I will get four coil packs.

I sorry I am not bring the solution but also looking for an answer, but this might be worth looking at.

All the best.

JimKden

Postby JimKden » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:25 am

ING1A coils are smart coils and Haltech Elite is compatible with all smart coils. The trigger voltage is not the issue. Do not try to fire a plug not grounded to the engine or fire the coil without the plug wire on a plug. That will fry it for sure.
Settings for that coil are constant charge, falling, dwell at 16 volts 3ms, 13 volts, 4 ms and at 8volts, 7 ms.

Return to “E6X/E6GMX/F10X”