Sanity check plz? E6X and 6cyl engine

Philiam

Sanity check plz? E6X and 6cyl engine

Postby Philiam » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:38 am

Hi. I'm a noob here. Please forgive my ignorance as you read on.

The last 8yrs I've had a E6X controlling my 3VZE (3L/V6) 88' toyota engine. Everything was wonderful until I rolled the vehicle and on restart, hydro-locked cyl 6. The connecting rod snapped and left the piston at the top of the cyl. After the wreck, the engine started and idled/ran ok considering the missing cylinder. I had the engine rebuilt by a performance shop in my area. On receipt of the car, I discovered that it now wouldn't cold idle, nor would it warm idle when the electric fan was activated. It would just stall and die, but restart no problem. I returned the car to the builder, who's had it the last 10 days. He now has access to the E6X, laptop and manual, which he didn't have during the rebuild.

Here are my questions:
1. When I check the Main Set-up page in software, I noticed that this whole time (8yrs) it's been configured for a 2bar map sensor, but I have a 1bar installed. On further exam, I see that Haltech rec's a 1bar "-100kPA - 0kPA" and my model is rated for 1bar "15 - 102kPA". When I reset the main set-up to MAP1BAR the engine really idle rough. I have a problem here, don't I?
2. When the builder set my timing, he set it to 12 BTDC (toy recs 10 BTDC). I'm not sure how he did this considering that he couldn't defeat the ECU idle advance function as detailed in the toyota shop manual. Anyway, I got him with the distributor set-up info provided by "HaltechMatthew" in the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10034&p=35823&hilit=distributor+set+up#p35823. So my question is, could most of the issues be explained by the ignition timing value?

Thanks very much for any light you can shed on this.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: Sanity check plz? E6X and 6cyl engine

Postby HaltechMatthew » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:18 am

1. It looks like the original tuner did not configure it correctly.
2. If you are on the E6X then nothing in the Toyota manual will have any effect. 2 deg of timing difference should not cause stalling, more likely it is too lean.

Philiam

Re: Sanity check plz? E6X and 6cyl engine

Postby Philiam » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:17 am

Thanks Matthew.

Return to “E6X/E6GMX/F10X”