Easy temp sensor question, plz.

Philiam

Easy temp sensor question, plz.

Postby Philiam » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:39 am

Hi there,

1. The engine data page (on-line) in my E6X displays coolant and air temp signal values of approx 0 deg C when 12 volts is applied, but the engine is off. I expected that the data page would display approx 19 deg C which was the actual temp of the air and coolant at that time. Is that normal?

2. I believe I am running a 1 bar MAP sensor, as indicated by the pn. However, the engine data page indicates (when main set-up is configured for MAP1BAR) -0.1Kpa when 12vdc is applied and the engine off. It displays the expected 101Kpa (atmospheric) when MAP2BAR is selected on the main set-up page. I'm actually running a 2 bar MAP sensor aren't I?

Thank you in advance for your help.

stevieturbo

Re: Easy temp sensor question, plz.

Postby stevieturbo » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:32 pm

If you do not know what sensors you have, or are in any doubt. Calibrate or at least check them manually.

MAP sensor is easy with known vac/pressure sources. Temp sensors a little more difficult.
9.85 @ 144.75mph, LS1 power :)
202mph standing mile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

Philiam

Postby Philiam » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:18 am

Thx for the reply Stevie.

stevieturbo

Postby stevieturbo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:37 am

Although temp sensors in their most basic setting...ie car sitting overnight.

You can at least check that they are reading close to ambient for both water and air.

If one is vastly different to the other, that would indicate a problem. And if you located the air temp sensor on top of the engine, ran the engine til warm ( vehicle stationary ) then let it sit there for a bit. Again, both should read fairly close to each other simply due to heat soak.

it isnt a totally accurate test, but it would at least give you some idea of if they are miles out, or there is a wiring issue.
202mph standing mile

Philiam

Postby Philiam » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:54 am

I think they are ok. They heat up and show reasonable values. It's just odd to me that I don't get a accurate ECU display for the sensors until they heat up. Just sitting static in my garage (12v on/engine off) they should display 19C, but they read 0.

More of a curiosity than a show stopper, I guess.

stevieturbo

Postby stevieturbo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:54 pm

Philiam wrote:I think they are ok. They heat up and show reasonable values. It's just odd to me that I don't get a accurate ECU display for the sensors until they heat up. Just sitting static in my garage (12v on/engine off) they should display 19C, but they read 0.

More of a curiosity than a show stopper, I guess.

If it's 19deg ambient, then they should read that key on, engine off.

Immediately you start the engine, do the readings change, or are they still at 0 ?

If 0, then the sensor scalings are not correct for your sensors.

Although ultimately as long as you are aware they are wrong, and any temperature related compensations take this into account, it isnt a big deal really.
But it's always sensible and good practice for all sensors to read correctly at all times
202mph standing mile

Philiam

Postby Philiam » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:45 am

Well, now you have me a little concerned. 19C ambient as measured with a calibrated temp probe, 12v on/engine off. They start at 0 and work up to 45C for air and 95C for coolant over a few minutes. I haven't figured out an easy way to confirm the accuracy of the heat temps yet.

Thanks again for the help.

Return to “E6X/E6GMX/F10X”