Using DOSBox to run Haltech DOS prorams in XP

Claudio

Using DOSBox to run Haltech DOS prorams in XP

Postby Claudio » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:10 pm

Hello all, just thought i'd post here, i have actually been playing with DOSBox recently and it really works very well, and its a lot easier to setup than Virtual PC is and you have access to the hard drive as opposed to VPC where you cant.

If anybody needs DOSBox here's what you have to do:

1. Download DOSBox from here:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dosbox/DOSBox0.72-win32-installer.exe?download

2. Install the application.

3. After you've installed the application, go to the Program Files folder, and in the D-Box folder you will find a file called dosbox.conf, open it with notepad.

4. Scroll down to the bottom and find the Serial settings it will say:

serial1=disabled
serial2=disabled
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

Type the following:

serial1=directserial realport:com1
serial2=disabled
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

Make sure that your COMM port is set to COM1 on both the Haltech software and in the Device Manager. If you are using a USB to serial adapter make sure to set it to COM1 before doing all this. Or you wont be able to go online.

5. After you've done this scroll to the very bottom where it says [autoexec], type the following:

mount c c:\Haldos
C:\

Note: If you only use one program, and you would like that program to automatically launch when you double click the DOSBox icon, type the following line after the "C:\" :

C:\E6K

This will automatically launch the E6K software (make sure you type the correct name for the file you are using, ie. E6K_V634, etc.)

6. Now, save the file and close notepad.

7. Make a folder with all your DOS Haltech programs and maps and put it in the root directory, C:, and call it 'Haldos'.

8. After you've done this you can now double click the DOSBox icon in the desktop. When it runs it will enable the use of the serial port and have as the C:\ directory your Haldos folder, type "DIR" to view all the files saved there.

9. You're done, you may now use Haltech DOS software with XP (and possibly Vista).

I have not tried to go online on Vista yet, you're more than welcomed to do so. And post if it works.

Once DOSBox is running you will be able to improve the speed of it by pressing Ctrl + F12 around 6 or 7 times. After you're done using the software and wish to close it, type Ctrl + Q from the haltech program to quit, then type EXIT and hit Enter and DOSBox will close.

Enjoy, good luck. Can this be made into a Sticky???
Claudio
[email protected]
Independent Haltech Sales & Tech Support

macBdog

Re: Using DOSBox to run Haltech DOS prorams in XP

Postby macBdog » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:07 pm

Brilliant! I used DOSBox to correct some font corruption problems but was baffled when I couldn't connect to it. This answers the question.

buttle1

Postby buttle1 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:28 am

Got the dos box to work with vista finnally what a pain! But ive been online with several systems and not had one glitch or prob. Even had an f9 that weve had problems with comm before, this time nothing! thanks claudio :D

urq1981

Using DOSBox to run Haltech DOS prorams in Win98

Postby urq1981 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:08 pm

Hi,

Just swapped my old Toshiba T2400CT (not charging the brand new battery :x ) for an IBM T22. The IBM has 1xserial and 1xUSB port with Windows 98se.

As expected it couldn't connect to the E6K in my car. I followed the advice here and after a little fiddling I got it all working! :D

The key for my IBM was removing the Soundcard related guff in the DOSBox.conf file. It was failing on this stuff and (I am guessing here) not executing the serial port mapping later in the file. Once I commented out the sound emulation it all worked nicely.

Claudio

Postby Claudio » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:10 am

Some more info on how to set up your USB to Serial adapters:

Installing USB to Serial Communications Port Adaptor:

Install USB to serial adaptor device driver from the product installation CDROM provided with the adaptor. Once the driver has been installed you will have to make sure the Haltech ECU software (Halwin or HalwinX) is setup to read from the same COM Port that the adaptor has installed itself as.

The following guide will help you through the process, with the USB to serial adaptor plugged into a USB port.

Using Windows XP

1 - Right Click on MY COMPUTER, in the menu select MANAGE.

2 - Select DEVICE MANAGER option on the left pane.

3 - Open PORTS(COM&LPT), and select the USB-to-Serial Comm Port.
- Baud Rate = 9600 (for E6S and older), 19200 (for E6K/X)
- Data Bits = 8
- Stop Bits = 1
- Parity = none
- Flow Control = none

4 - Select PORT SETTINGS tab.

5 - Click ADVANCED button.

6 - Under Com Port Number, select Com1, as long as not already in use (any com port 1-4 can be used, just be sure to select the same com port when setting up the Halwin software).

7 - Click OK.

Using HalwinX V1.26:

Open HalwinX 1.26.

Under SETUP on task bar, select COM PORT SET UP.

Under Port, Select COM1 (or whatever you have selected in your device manager in step 6).

Click Apply and then OK

Close down HalwinX and restart the software, you should now be able to communicate and go online with your Haltech ECU.

Using Halwin V1.62 or 1.71:

Open Halwin V1.62 or 1.71.

Under SETUP on task bar, select PROGRAM SET UP.

Select EDIT COM PORT DETAILS tab.

Under PORT, Select COM1 (or whatever you have selected in your device manager in step 8).

Click Apply and then OK

Close down Halwin and restart the software, you should now be able to communicate and go online with your Haltech ECU.

You may also want to check the information at this thread:

http://www.oz951.com/halforum/bbs/viewt ... rt+setting

And make sure your port settings match these (choose com1, pic shows com2):
Attachments
haltech_comm_settings.JPG
haltech_comm_settings.JPG (14.18 KiB) Viewed 41022 times
Claudio
[email protected]

Claudio

Postby Claudio » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:00 am

Have you set your comm port correctly on the computer? does it have a serial or are you using a USB or PCMCIA adapter?

The computer needs to have an actual serial port, internal or otherwise for the configuration in DOSBox to work.
Claudio
[email protected]

Claudio

Postby Claudio » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:30 am

Updated some info on how to launch particular software automatically.
Claudio
[email protected]

Claudio

Postby Claudio » Sat May 02, 2009 8:49 am

Turboraz wrote:So it's possible to run the F9 in windows Vista???Any help will be appreciated.

This might help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH_A_Dtt ... annel_page
Claudio
[email protected]

Turboraz

Postby Turboraz » Wed May 06, 2009 8:13 am

ClaudioRX7 wrote:
Turboraz wrote:So it's possible to run the F9 in windows Vista???Any help will be appreciated.

This might help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH_A_Dtt ... annel_page

Gracias Claudio!! si algun dia vienes por Tampa, FLorida dejame saber estoy trabajando en mi carro con un nuevo set up y necesito un buen programada....

Claudio

Postby Claudio » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:14 am

If you have the USB adapter connected and you DONT see it in the Ports section, it probably is not installed correctly, all serial adapters have a cd with drivers, you must make sure you have installed these drivers correctly otherwise the adapter wont work.

Sometimes you may need to restart your machine after the driver installation.
Claudio
[email protected]

hachiroku

Postby hachiroku » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:26 pm

my best experience has been the use of Windows Virtual Machine, with MS-DOS installed.

others have had issues where the haltech software locks up but the issue is that the clock speed is much too fast in newer laptops that it causes the software to freeze. using speedswitchxp is the solution for this.

http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/

what I do like about using windows virtual machine is that almost any USB-to-Serial convertor that works in windows will work with windows virtual machine and MS-DOS.
-barry

Claudio

Postby Claudio » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:40 am

Hachiroku, i have used Virtual PC in the past extensively, i loved it, until i discovered DOS Box, that also works wonderfully! As you can see from this thread.

The key to do with DOS box is right after you start the program hit the Cntrl + F12 key to bring the cycle speed to about 8000 or a little higher, then you'd have no problems with the speed of the program.

I'd have to look into DOS box again to see if i can find that option so i can input it into the Config file from the get go so that wouldnt need to be done each time, but ive gotten used to it anyway. It works great for me.
Claudio
[email protected]

Return to “Old Engine Management Systems”