E6K - Incorrect Programmer Version

Hodgdon extreme

E6K - Incorrect Programmer Version

Postby Hodgdon extreme » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:26 pm

Hello everyone,

I've recently purchased a tuner car with an E6K. Overall runs decent but the light load stuff needs work. I am an experienced engine calibrator, but I'm having difficulty establishing connectivity with the E6K ecu.

I have an ancient windows 98 Laptop (IBM Thinkpad from 1999) I've kept for exactly this purpose.

When trying to get into "online mode" with the E6K, I keep getting the "incorrect programmer version" error message.

I've tried the e6kv634 software available directly from Haltech's website, I've tried the e6k_609 that I found somewhere online.

I've tried several different serial cables (my pc has a built-in serial port)

I've tried it from the DOS prompt from within windows 98, and I've tried restarting in DOS mode. Interestingly, when I try to go into online mode directly from DOS, the PC locks up without any progress with the e6k. When I try it from the DOS prompt within win98, I get the fully green progress bar and the error message.

I've tried changing the baud rate of my com port from 9600 to 19200

I'm out of ideas here. A little help???

Hodgdon extreme

Re: E6K - Incorrect Programmer Version

Postby Hodgdon extreme » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:08 pm

Read some posts by "Claudio" about using Windows XP and DOSbox to connect to the E6K...

I have a panasonic toughbook with winXP, so I went ahead and installed Dosbox and followed Claudio's instructions.

Trying both E6Kv634 and E6K_609, I still get the "Incorrect Programmer Version" message. I tried every combination of baud rate available in my device manager, along with every combination of flow control (none, hardware, Xon/Xoff), and still get the same error message.

If I unplug my serial cable and try to connect, I get the "reconnect Haltech" message

Driving the car and monitoring the wideband, I'd guess the calibration is about 90% correct as is. AFR at idle and light load hunts around and is extremely rich (hunts around between 11.5 and 10). It'd be a huge bummer to have to start from scratch - really need to establish connectivity and fix the no load/light load end of the calibration.

Please Help!

Hodgdon extreme

Re: E6K - Incorrect Programmer Version

Postby Hodgdon extreme » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:08 am

SOLVED!

Turns out my E6K had been flashed to the "beta" firmware, version 717.

Haltech posted a zip folder on my google drive with every software version they had. They have given me permission to make it public for the next poor schmuck in my same shoes. I'm thinking the google drive will probably stick around a long time - at least until the EMP hits, in which case all our ecu's will be fried anyway... :-)

In the folder, there are a LOT of different software versions. The one that worked for me was e6k717co.exe

Here's the link; hope this helps!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I4n2MJ0ZC2ImqWUsaw9h5OYmDzvdc12G/view?usp=sharing

Return to “Old Engine Management Systems”