F7 Serial Cable

JTChandler

F7 Serial Cable

Postby JTChandler » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:23 am

Howdy!
I desperately need a serial cable for a Haltech F7 ecu.

At the very least can anyone here help me identify the correct plug that fits the F7.
Is it a BT631A (see image below) ???
British_Telephone_connector.jpg

IMG_6084.JPG

Are there any wiring diagrams for the this serial cable (pin to pin) (RS232 DB9 9-Pin to BT631A)

Any help will be greatly appreciated and if you have a serial/comm cable to spare please drop me a note and I'll gladly buy it from you!
jt [at] jtchandler.com

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: F7 Serial Cable

Postby HaltechMatthew » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:49 pm

These have not been made in 30 years and nobody who works here would know anything about the cables. I remember them being unobtainium even 20 years ago!

JTChandler

Postby JTChandler » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:30 am

Thanks for the response Matt. I'm still hoping someone has a spare laying around or will post a picture of the connector/plug so I can hopefully identify it and find a source. Making the cable is no big deal. I recall back in the early 90's when I was a Haltech dealer that serial cable was odd ball. Guys were buying cars with Haltech systems and not getting the serial cable in the deal and were calling me looking for replacements. Now 30yrs later I'm looking for one :roll:

Nissanman

Postby Nissanman » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:45 am

I have an F9 spare if you want to "upgrade" :roll: :roll: :roll:
Nissanman, just trying to help.....

JTChandler

Postby JTChandler » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:41 am

As a follow up for the next poor slob trying to save his F7 system from the scrap pile.
I determine the connector that fits the F7 ecu is a SDL-6 (see image)
It's the same connector IBM used to connect their keyboards to their computers back in the day.
You can find these IBM cables but they have a PS2 connector on the opposite end... that won't work.. I tried... even with a PS2 to RS232 adapter.
So I'm a bit closer to talking with my Haltech F7 ecu but still need a original Haltech serial cable since it will be nearly impossible to determine/guess the right pin to pin (SDL-6 to RS232) wiring arrangement.

So I'm putting a BOUNTY on one...

I'll pay (via Paypal, Amazon gift card or ...?)
$100US for a original (DEAD or ALIVE) Haltech F7 serial cable. (send me pics or what you have)
I'll even pay the bounty to anyone with one of these serial cables in their possession to do a pin to pin continuity check and write down the results (example pin one on the RS232 goes to pin 3 on the SDL-6... get it?) (You keep your cable)
(NOTE:) Of course you don't get the bounty until I make a cable with your information and it works. Don't need some character just making something up thinking I'll pay up... :)
If you can't do the continuity testing yourself... I'm willing to do it ... just send me the cable and I'll send it back when done... you still get paid and I'll pay postage and of course the bounty!

Okay so you might have a box of old computer cables and you once had a Haltech F7 system. The following pic should help you determine the Haltech serial cable. It has a SDL-6 on end and a RS232 (Also known as a DB9) on the other.

SDL_6
sdl-6.jpg

RS232 also known as DB9
db9-rs232.jpg
db9-rs232.jpg (6.62 KiB) Viewed 4240 times

Thanks for reading and hopefully if I'm not successful maybe somebody else will be with this hard earned information :lol:

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:15 am

I saw the other Matt here found the pinout. I looked as well and could not find it, so you got lucky there!

However...

Due to your extreme enthusiasm in acquiring one of these cable I have a feeling I may have one somewhere. If I do, it is yours no charge.

JTChandler

Postby JTChandler » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:20 am

Matt.... if you can find that cable please o please o please save it for me. I will gladly cover ALL costs... your time, postage, beer whatever... I need it BAD.

The cable with SDL connector on it I sourced is not wired to the pins I need according to the pinout the "other Matt" supplied me. My seemingly simple work around to not having to find and buy a unobtainable and stupid expensive crimp tool has FAILED.

BTW... I sent you a PM with my contact info... cuz I'm an optimist :D

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:55 am

Hold tight, I will try to have a look over the next few days through my collection of accumulated crap in the garage. Especially when I have not used it in more years than I care to mention and no idea where it is. I just am sure I have one....somewhere.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:32 am

Look what I found...

Ka-ching!!!!! :D

[attachment=0]F3 Cable.png[/attachment
Attachments
F3 Cable.png

JTChandler

Postby JTChandler » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:27 pm

NO WAY! Look at that dinosaur. :lol:
Almost looks like a prototype version... are you sure you don't want to keep that for the Haltech museum. :lol:

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:48 pm

It is just missing the serial connector shell but you can get them anywhere.
Locking tabs are missing from the other end but I remember them being missing for decades. Still works fine.

But yes, it the genuine item.

JTChandler

Postby JTChandler » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:53 pm

Matt it's a thing of beauty to a guy in my condition :D
You've got my address....

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:54 pm

I have no messages from you. email me directly via the little icon near my name.

JTChandler

Postby JTChandler » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:25 am

Maybe your inbox is full?
Everything I send says successfully sent but then they seem to be stuck in my outbox with no messages in my sent folder.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:33 am

Got your last message but none prior to that.

Cable is on its way today.

Return to “Old Engine Management Systems”