Going for first start

shiftin04

Going for first start

Postby shiftin04 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:23 pm

Good morning everyone. I'm trying to help my son get his new set up running. We're having some issues and since this is my first time delving into Haltech I figured it was time to reach out to the pros.

The set up is a 1998 GS300 with a 2JZGTE-VVTi (it's his original engine with the better rods and pistons), single turbo kit, FIC 775cc injectors, PHR fuel hat and wiring, Elite 2500 running in parallel with the stock ECU using a Boomslang plug and play harness.

So far I've loaded the base map for the IS300 that's in the ESP software. I updated the injector info per the datasheet that was sent with the injectors. At first we weren't getting any kind of triggering for the ignition. Then he found this, https://support.haltech.com/portal/en/k ... 1jz-engine, so I set everything up according to what's on that page. Now we get an RPM reading when cranking the engine. It was 160-170rpm so I don't know if that was fast enough, but it was there. But while cranking it gives a trigger 3 and 4 error. He says he's 100% sure he put the trigger wheel on the crank when he was putting the engine together. If I'm understanding correctly it could be a cam position issue as well. I do remember finding a nugget of info that said the ground reference needs to be enabled for stock sensors. Which when I disabled to check all of the triggering events stopped. So it definitely needs to be enabled.

Something I noticed that has me confused is when I had the default map from the ECU loaded the sensors were reading correctly. IE the MAP sensor was showing 0ish kPa, the ECT and IAT were showing mid 70 degree temps. Which is about right for our area. After I loaded the IS300 map the sensors went way off. The MAP sensor was reading -70 kPa with the key on. The ECT was showing 100 degrees and the IAT was 135. While the ambient temp was still in the mid 70's. I tried to calibrate the ECT sensor using what I found under the settings tab, but it didn't change anything. Was the IS300 MAP not the right choice? Did something possibly get corrupted when I loaded it? I'm not against starting a new map at this point since we're not into it that far.

Is there any kind of high speed logger I can use to watch the crank and cam triggers to see what they're actually doing?

FWIW, we removed the Boomslang harness and Haltech and the car had a quick catch. I didn't expect it to really run since it has large injectors and the wrong MAF, but the fact that it tried to start tells me things are working.

shiftin04

Re: Going for first start

Postby shiftin04 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:41 pm

So I found the info for the sensors on Haltech's website. They now all read correctly.

I was still having issues with trigger errors 3 and 4. On a whim I changed the trigger signal from Custom to Reluctor and no more errors. When I cranked it the diagnostic screen showed "No trigger errors". Fingers crossed tomorrow goes well.

shiftin04

Re: Going for first start

Postby shiftin04 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:44 am

I ended up calling Haltech and speaking with a couple techs to get the issues worked out. I had to hard reset the ECU to get it to connect again.

Then it turns out the ECU was looking for a key on signal. Which it wasn't getting with the Boomslang harness. Turned that off and the car fired right up.

Return to “Tuning Discussions”