Joining loom

Steve220
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:51 am

Joining loom

Postby Steve220 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:01 am

Hi all,

So, i bit the bullet and bought an Elite 1000 for my classic mini turbo, however i've bought a basic 2.5m loom to go with it so i can splace it into the existing. This also allows me to put the ECU inside the car instead of a heavily cramped engine bay!

As there's going to be a fair bit of cutting, joining and heat shrink, what is the opinions of the forum of the best method of joining new loom to old loom? Crimp? Solder? Other?

Steve

aus jd 2703
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:16 am

Re: Joining loom

Postby aus jd 2703 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:11 am

open barrel splices will likely be the cheapest option.
RS electronics and similar places sell them.

the proper crimper is:
Sargent 3187 / GM12085271


quality splices are:

1500 CMA and less of combined wire area: TE 62759-1

1500 to 5000 CMA of combined wire area: TE 63130-2

5000 to 10000 CMA of combined wire area: TE 62357-1

(CMA is a way of measuring cross sectional area of wire, a quick google will clear it up but from memory joining 2 x 20 awg (gauge wires) require 2000 cma)

Orangeblue
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:54 am
Location: Germany

Re: Joining loom

Postby Orangeblue » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:18 am

To be fair.., why didn't you go with the premium harness?

It has the fusebox/relaybox, power supply and ground circut already in it.
https://www.haltech.com/product/ht-1408 ... n-harness/
If you are redoing the wiring why keep the old stuff...

Anyway...
Personaly.., open barrel crimp then heatshrink with glue, tape to bundle the wires then wire sleeving.


Check the Haltech YT Channel, lots of info about wiring/splicing/wiring options...
Dave's Wiring Vlog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpNfRaM_P04

Or HP Acadamy:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... emy+wiring
Image
'92 Opel Omega Wagon
'94 Opel Astra 'vert

Steve220
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:51 am

Re: Joining loom

Postby Steve220 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:52 pm

Orangeblue wrote:To be fair.., why didn't you go with the premium harness?

It has the fusebox/relaybox, power supply and ground circut already in it.
https://www.haltech.com/product/ht-1408 ... n-harness/
If you are redoing the wiring why keep the old stuff...

Anyway...
Personaly.., open barrel crimp then heatshrink with glue, tape to bundle the wires then wire sleeving.


Check the Haltech YT Channel, lots of info about wiring/splicing/wiring options...
Dave's Wiring Vlog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpNfRaM_P04

Or HP Acadamy:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... emy+wiring


Because the 'old' loom is only 2 years old, Rover put some crazy difficult to locate plugs on it and it has a multi relay unit in the OEM position. Just as easy to splice it to the 'old' loom than it is to terminate a premium.

Orangeblue
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:54 am
Location: Germany

Re: Joining loom

Postby Orangeblue » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:29 am

Steve220 wrote:Because the 'old' loom is only 2 years old, Rover put some crazy difficult to locate plugs on it and it has a multi relay unit in the OEM position. Just as easy to splice it to the 'old' loom than it is to terminate a premium.


Makes sense. I always think of a classic mini as like a 1970s mini, even if the were made till 2000...
Didn't Rover do some stuff with Honda at the time? May worth a look into the connectors. Honda used Sumitomo connectors iirc...
Image
'92 Opel Omega Wagon
'94 Opel Astra 'vert

Steve220
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:51 am

Re: Joining loom

Postby Steve220 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:22 am

Orangeblue wrote:
Steve220 wrote:Because the 'old' loom is only 2 years old, Rover put some crazy difficult to locate plugs on it and it has a multi relay unit in the OEM position. Just as easy to splice it to the 'old' loom than it is to terminate a premium.


Makes sense. I always think of a classic mini as like a 1970s mini, even if the were made till 2000...
Didn't Rover do some stuff with Honda at the time? May worth a look into the connectors. Honda used Sumitomo connectors iirc...


The forums have been looking for ages, to no avail. It's massively frustrating. I took one of the last Mini Cooper's made and turbo charged it. Unfortunately, the ecu i am using keeps corrupting the maps or just decides to change timing and fuelling sporadically, and even the manufacturers don't know why! Many examples of other ecus of the same model doing it, so finally binning it and going Elite 1000!

Image

Image

RyanKK7
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:27 pm

Re: Joining loom

Postby RyanKK7 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:01 pm

Great! Check my own project and tell your opinion!


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests