ford 2 wire idle valve help

Questions about the Platinum Sport series ECU settings or features? Ask here.
silver z

ford 2 wire idle valve help

Postby silver z » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:36 am

I'll try to keep this short and sweet, I recently picked up a 2 wire ford IACV and housing from driftmotion and have struggled to get it working.
Now i have searched and read everything i could find on the subject with no luck so ill tell the list of what ive done.
Ran switched power to one side then the other to DPO18 set to BAC main..... no luck.
Switched power to other pin thinking it mattered.... no luck.
thought maybe i burned up the valve so i bought a new one with same results.
PM'd back and forth with Matt a little and he suggested using DPO3-4
Hooked it to DPO3 and set to BAC main.... no luck.

Now it seems as though it will "click" right when plugged in but does not move at all in open or closed loop when moving duty cycle %
Im at a loss and i give up lol, im really hoping someone can chime in and tell me i did something wrong or check something as at this point it has to be something stupid.

Any way to test the valve or output to make sure its working as it should?

This is a 2jz with a sport 2000 BTW

beehive

Re: ford 2 wire idle valve help

Postby beehive » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:07 am

I am using a 2 wire VDO valve on DPO2 with no problems. The main difference between the VDO & Ford valve that I'm aware of is the VDO is spring loaded open (engine speed goes way up when the wire connector is unplugged), the Ford is spring loaded closed. DPO2 is set to BAC main with output inverted, for the Ford valve you shouldn't need to invert the output. The valves are easy to check, connect a jumper wire from battery positive to 1 pin of the valve and another jumper from the remaining pin to ground. You'll hear the valve snap open when power is applied and you'll be able to blow some air through the valve. The output of the ECU can be checked with an LED test light, LED's are polarity sensitive, so they won't light if wired backwards. LED's respond fast enough that with the output frequency set lower than about 60Hz, you should be able to see the LED flicker. It may be worth noting, the ECU only applies the pulse width signal to the valve when the ECU sees engine speed from the Trigger input.

silver z

Postby silver z » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks for the response. I'm going to check the valve tonight with power and ground to see what happens.

silver z

Postby silver z » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:55 am

Well it just clicks when power and ground are applied, doesnt matter the polarity. The valve does not move at all, im going to grab a new one tomorrow even though this is the second one.

beehive

Postby beehive » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:17 am

That seems odd that you would have 2 new valves that don't work. There is only 1 moving part in the valve, if it clicks, that part has to be moving. I suppose it is possible there is a defect in the valves that restrict the shuttle from moving far enough. Because the ports are offset from the main bore on the Ford valves, it can be difficult to see the shuttle valve & observe the movement. I think a better indication is blowing air through the valve, there will be an obvious change in air flow between on & off. I think with the Ford valves, you can remove the solenoid from the main body (2 screws) and move the shuttle by hand; if you want to try that.

silver z

Postby silver z » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:28 am

Well i picked up an OEM valve from Ford and it does the same thing. Its a 03-04 mustang gt 4.6L iac
I have done so much reading on this my head is spinning, one thing i saw is that it may need vacuum to close or move the valve since the spring holds it open. My car has big cams so maybe its not pulling enough vacuum idk.

silver z

Postby silver z » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:14 pm

Since im not one to give up i figure id post an update.
Got home today and after reading all day today i found that the ford valve i have uses vacuum to shut the valve and they normally rest in the open position as there is a spring inside holding it open. The valve solenoid pops the valve open but not shut no matter polarity.
Well.... my car with a pretty big cam and aftermarket intake doesn't pull much vacuum at idle and will not close the valve by itself. So me not caring i took the valve apart and took the spring out to test it and imagine that it works!!
So now im going to do some more testing and cold start it tomorrow as i might have to just cut the spring down a little maybe to ensure its open to start the car but the vacuum can over come the spring.
Hope this helps someone in the future.

The_Gingernator

Postby The_Gingernator » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:13 am

What year is the idle valve for? I'm having a similar issue with big cams on my mod motor. It will run until I make a boost run then it doesn't want to
Jake
Silver '03 Cobra Coupe
Elite 2500 with all the goodies

silver z

Postby silver z » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:56 am

Mine is a 03-04
IMG_49151.jpg

The_Gingernator

Postby The_Gingernator » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:44 pm

What IAC is that? Did you try the stock IAC? That's what I'm using also on 03/04.
Jake
Silver '03 Cobra Coupe
Elite 2500 with all the goodies

silver z

Postby silver z » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:41 am

Thats just a generic photo. Mine is from the Ford dealer. 03-04 mustang gt iacv

doyle4281

Postby doyle4281 » Sun May 02, 2021 6:14 am

silver z wrote:Thats just a generic photo. Mine is from the Ford dealer. 03-04 mustang gt iacv

Hey man, were you able to figure out your IAC issue? I feel like I am soon going to run into the same problem with the vacuum issue of the ford IAC. Did you find a way around it or an alternative valve? Thanks man

Return to “Platinum Sport Series”