AP1 IAT Heatsoak, need help/advice

Questions about the Platinum Pro Plug-in ECU's? Ask here.
S2KCanuck

AP1 IAT Heatsoak, need help/advice

Postby S2KCanuck » Tue May 17, 2022 2:46 am

I've been having a problem with my s2k lately. After driving the car for 30-40 min or more, turning the car off and then starting it again after a few minutes, the car won't idle properly, and it stalls. Thanks to the Haltech WB1 wideband and the Multi-Function CAN gauge, I noticed the AFR was very, very lean, at 18.0 - 18.4. The air temp is sitting at 61 - 63 C celsius. If I drive the car right away, it corrects itself in a minute or so.
After doing some research at the forums, I learned the IAT is experiencing heatsoaking. Only way to deal with this is to apparently move the IAT further down the pipe, before the throttle, away from the intake manifold. So I purchased an aftermarket IAT for the RSX, CR-V, Accord, I assume is for the K-series engines
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/334043535103?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D7234ed45c06544d3a2f44f8c17634c57%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D334043535103%26itm%3D334043535103%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A2aa74c06-d536-11ec-815b-ca0bcf62267b%7Cparentrq%3Acdb9523b1800a646c73723c5fff3bfd1%7Ciid%3A12

and my plan is to drill a hole into my K&N intake pipe, put a rubber grommet in it, install this sensor, extend the wires in the harness for the IAT, and leave the old IAT in the intake manifold to seal the hole.

So I have three questions:

1. Does this sensor have an equal or similar air temp. range to the one on the s2k?

2. Will the Platinum Pro pick it's signal right away or do I need to change any settings?

3. I read a post talk about an IAT compensation table, do I need to do anything to it, like turn it off since this sensor will probably be reading lower values?

Thank you for the help.

cbDrift

Re: AP1 IAT Heatsoak, need help/advice

Postby cbDrift » Sat May 21, 2022 2:58 pm

Heya - yeah - i had exactly the same issue on my k20a civic - the factory plastic sensor would heatsoak in the factory location and factory rubber intake pipe due to engine bay temps and after sitting in traffic it would start going mega lean because it thought the car was at 60deg c air intake temp

I just looked at your link - and sorry for the bad news, but that looks exactly like the sensor i removed from my car - The plastic body will heatsoak if your in traffic as well. I see that you want to remove the factory sensor from the intake manifold - yup that will help - but the k series still gets the heat soak issue even with the sensor in the intake pipework about 12" away from the throttle body.

I swapped from the plastic sensor over to the Haltech air intake temp sensor that came with my pnp kit (when i was running a pod filter and alloy intake) then I swapped to the Haltech sensor that would fit the factory intake location when i swapped to a tegiwa intake

https://www.haltech.com/product/ht-0102 ... mp-sensor/
is what i'm running currently

Both of the Haltech air intake sensors i used had exactly the same sensor voltage curve as the factory honda k series sensor (that looks like the one you linked to) and uses a gm calibration i think from memory and they instantly solved the issue for me.

I can sit in traffic now and its all happy and reading 20-30deg lower than the honda sensor did in the same circumstances - gawd knows how they get the factory setup to run nicely all the time if it does that :\ Itll still heatsoak a bit but now its the hardware on the intake side of things - not the sensor body doing it.

I still have "auto air temp" ticked for my VE fueling setup - but can now disable the "intake air temp compensation" table which i needed to fix fueling on the factory honda sensor and the car is running happy now

1) swap your sensor - its sooooo worth it
2) definitely get a good cold air intake - like proper cold air intake that doesnt get air from the engine bay - your buttdyno will love you.
3) if you have any aluminum pipework for your intake - put that gold reflective tape on it or ceramic or heat coat it - it helps a lot as well

And then notice and enjoy the major perk up the car will have after it warms up compared to the factory plastic air intake sensor and any sort of under-bonnet hot air intake setup. Its VERY noticeable having 20+deg colder air coming into the engine

yeah - i dont have an s2000 or a platinum - i have a ep3 k20a and elite - but the same concept applies for both.
I hope this gives you some ideas to work on - cars are a money pit - but its a hobby and its fun so i'll keep fiddling :)

S2KCanuck

Postby S2KCanuck » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:44 pm

Hey cbDrift, sorry for the very late reply, but your advice worked!!!

I got myself a K&N cold air intake, I didn't get the sensor you mentioned but I did get another one, the HT-010204, because I found a calibration file being shared here, viewtopic.php?t=13711 , I uploaded the file, drilled a hole into the intake pipe, tapped it, installed the new sensor and it works. Drove for a while, came to a stop, turned the car off, started again after 10 minutes and no signs of heat soaking.

Haltech really makes things easy with their software.

Thank you again!!

cbDrift

Postby cbDrift » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:04 pm

Good to hear back and that its solved your problems like it solved mine.
And a real cold air intake is a killer mod for these cars :) I hope your enjoying it as much as I did when it made such a big a difference to my car.

Have fun - hopefully i didnt trip you up and your falling down a rabbit hole for tweaking the car now :P

Return to “Platinum Pro Plug-in”