Car dies intermittently. No restart for 5-10 minutes.

Questions about the Platinum Pro Plug-in ECU's? Ask here.
Drakkcoil

Car dies intermittently. No restart for 5-10 minutes.

Postby Drakkcoil » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:56 am

Hi guys,

I've had a Platinum Pro Plug-in ECU in my 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T for about 2 years now. This season I've noticed a couple issues, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue before and can maybe shed some light on the subject.

On a normal cold start the car starts up fine, idles fine and drives fine. If I shut the car off, and go to restart it later it will stumble a bit on restart and sometimes it will stall out. AFR's look a bit lean when this happens. If the car does start fine (this is 90% of the time) it will run fine but then randomly stall out on my while driving - I could be foot into the gas. When it dies the engine continues to run under decel, and the injects get shut off as my AEM wideband reads 3 dashes ---. Once I put my foot on the clutch the car will finally stall out and then I roll to a stop with the four way flashers on.

After this happens, if I try to restart the car it will just turn over, so I have to leave the car for a good 5-10 minutes. After that time the car does fire up, but runs lean again on idle and sometimes will pop a small backfire from the exhaust. The car will run and drive for a few minutes, then the stalling will start all over again in a vicious cycle.

I've tried data logging while this happens, but when it does happen the laptop loses communication to the ECU. I checked temps on the ECU while driving the car for a good 15-20 minutes and the temps look fine.

I'm running DW 1000cc injectors in the car currently. The car was not exhibiting this behavior last season. Could the ECU be at fault here?

If someone could shed some light, or perhaps point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Adam

harrisracing

Re: Car dies intermittently. No restart for 5-10 minutes.

Postby harrisracing » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:54 pm

I'm no haltech engineer or anything, but my ecu never loses connection to ECU while data logging even if my car dies. Sounds like you have a short to ground somewhere in the supply side to the ECU. I would check wires / ecu mounting / any other accessory wiring.

Check to see if a wire or something melted to your exhaust somewhere?

Otherwise contact Haltech and see if they will accept return...

Drakkcoil

Postby Drakkcoil » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:13 am

Thanks for the reply. I checked all the connections to the ECU with a friend and everything looks fine in that department.

After taking another look, I'm convinced this thing is overheating. The ECU will shutoff, and when the ECU shuts off I assume that communication is lost to the computer. The ECU is still under the hood, and I remember I did get a relocation kit with this ECU so I'm going to move it into the cabin this weekend and see if it makes a difference. I believe I may have been checking the wrong temps as well. This would at least explain why I have to let it sit for so long before I can even start it again. I opened the hood after it shut down and the ECU was definitely very hot to the touch.

I did some reading on the RX7 and GenCoupe forums and saw that overheating has been an issue (especially on the Genesis Coupe where the ECU is under the hood, and not well ventilated).

moreause

Postby moreause » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:26 am

On genecoupe 2013 also

my personnal expeirence is if i let the laptop connected on it for log
the engine will die from time to time...you just have to push the clutch in, do a key cycle and release clutch

i was fuckling hard to detect on the log..when that was happening NO DATA was receive so the software would just draw a strait line from before and after...only way i could see it was engine running time was reverting to zero

it could be the overheat protection, mine to is still under the hood and on hot day with AC on, it will stall on you 75c is the themal limit if i remember correctly

a easy way to know about it...normally the check engine doesn't light up... in a case of overheat it does

ps..do you still run your AC compressor with a 12v SWITCH ??

I m still playing with some cool module i build ...did some for other guys...checking to change design

would just pass can bus data in and out and modifiy the can data that haltech SHOULD HAVE put into the data stream

other fun part on this haltech ... AC request is in the menu for all 4 voltage input and the dpi input
but for some Fufgh even if you activate the input the logic is not implemented...except for the dpi input

mayaryrie

Postby mayaryrie » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:58 am

Mine is also overheat. The ECU will shut off, and when the ECU shuts off I assume that communication is lost to the computer.

AhLeeYong

Postby AhLeeYong » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:03 pm

Hey guys, try to mod your ecu with these, it help your ecu in cool operating temperature. You may also add some used pentium motherboard heat sink on the main processor chip by glueing them using 2ton epoxy. You may also add the popular temperature control board to aim your cooling temperature purpose. You may also need to drill some holes on the plate that hold the connector on the other side to make the air flows through it. Nevertheless, it also might void your warranty hahahahaa.

My mod as below
Platinum sport 1000
Relocate the internal map sensor nipple hole to the above usb port
Cut big hole for the fan to be seated.
Used pci bridge heat sink to stick on the main processor chip
Some 2 ton epoxy glue
Used power supply fan 40mm×40mmx20mm with high speed ball bearing fan. Stick it with gray 3M double sided tape or you may use some hot glue to secure the fan in place.
2 x 50ohm 1 watt resistor in parellel for slowing down the fan hahaha. Connected at supply terminal + of the fan.
1 x W1209 temp control board
1 x polarity protection 1 watt diode
Some wiring of course, will post the simple wiring diagram if you interested.
You will also need to extend or replace the internal silicon/rubber hose that connected between the internal map sensor and the nipple at the casing.

Regards
ALi
Malaysia.
Attachments
20170414_220241-picsay-640x360.jpg
20170414_220223-picsay-640x360.jpg
20170414_220217-picsay-640x360.jpg

AhLeeYong

Postby AhLeeYong » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:32 am

Some of the picture regarding the ecu cooling purpose
Attachments
W1209-digital-display-font-b-temperature-b-font-controller-high-precision-font-b-temperature-b-font.jpg
Cheap W1209 board can be use to control the fan by triggering its 12v relay. Also can preprogram the low and hi temp treshold for it to work. Easily can be found in eBay or ALiExpress :)
20170414_220304-picsay-640x360.jpg
Overall project look for cooling purpose.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:00 pm

For many years we have had a relocation kit available for this application for vehicles where the turbo is cooking the ECU.

Return to “Platinum Pro Plug-in”