R33 GTR MAF sensor Options/Support

Questions about the Platinum Pro Plug-in ECU's? Ask here.
slvrbakslpz

R33 GTR MAF sensor Options/Support

Postby slvrbakslpz » Wed May 08, 2019 1:28 am

All,

I'm looking to get a new ECU soon. I'm really considering using the Platinum Pro. Along with that, I'll be upgrading my turbos and MAF sensors.

My question is, what MAF sensors are supported with this ECU? I plan to run PMAS HPX MAF sensor with my new setup.

Thanks

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: R33 GTR MAF sensor Options/Support

Postby HaltechMatthew » Wed May 08, 2019 11:12 am

You can use any MAF you like, but using a MAF is something only a very tiny percentage of our customers do. Most will ditch them and go TPS/MAP.

Ichibrown

Postby Ichibrown » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:46 am

Is it possible to expand on this a bit? I am about to purchase a Platinum pro plug-in for my R32 GT-R but I currently run slot style MAFs in the OEM sized HPI housings, does Haltech provide a calibration files for slot style MAFs or is it a matter of calibrating the MAFs manually? I've tried searching but couldn't really find much on how to Calibrate for custom MAFs (not surprising since as you said most people run speed density.)

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:46 pm

We dont put any time into MAF calibrations for the reasons given. Too much time invested for a tiny number of people who use them. They need to be tuned on the car too, so providing a calibration curve is near impossible unless it is exactly the same as the test rig we use. Typically we do map the stock MAF curves on stock cars when making plug in kits for reference but they are rarely ever asked for.

To calibrate them you need to have accurate injector data. You then pretty much adjust the curve so your target and actual AFRs match. I normally just set up the MAF curve in 0.1 and 0.2V increments. You then hold the car on a dyno at that voltage on the MAF and adjust the flow rate to make the AFR match. It does not take too long to do, but I would not say it is easy either.

doyle4281

Postby doyle4281 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:42 am

HaltechMatthew wrote:We dont put any time into MAF calibrations for the reasons given. Too much time invested for a tiny number of people who use them. They need to be tuned on the car too, so providing a calibration curve is near impossible unless it is exactly the same as the test rig we use. Typically we do map the stock MAF curves on stock cars when making plug in kits for reference but they are rarely ever asked for.

To calibrate them you need to have accurate injector data. You then pretty much adjust the curve so your target and actual AFRs match. I normally just set up the MAF curve in 0.1 and 0.2V increments. You then hold the car on a dyno at that voltage on the MAF and adjust the flow rate to make the AFR match. It does not take too long to do, but I would not say it is easy either.

Hello Matthew, I was always under the impression that MAF was actually a better means of tuning a the RB26 when the ITBs are retained and the twin configuration is retained. There are of course much better MAF sensors now than in 1989, so assuming a modern MAF is used, is MAF a more suitable metering method for ITB turbo engines, such as the RB26? I know that the business aspect of it would be different for Haltech as single turbo conversions are so popular and large single MAFs would clearly be a pain. However, as it relates to factory configuration car, that is not maxing out the MAFs, is it a preferred metering method over MAP? Thanks

Return to “Platinum Pro Plug-in”