Fuel correction by wideband on 2 banks?

Questions about the Platinum Pro Plug-in ECU's? Ask here.
Bunkerfis

Fuel correction by wideband on 2 banks?

Postby Bunkerfis » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:35 pm

Hello Haltechers!

I recently found out, after some troubleshooting, that my car is having some problems with fuel correction based on the AEM Wideband sensor i have installed. The thing is the car has been running like this for years, and it has been tuned by a "professional" tuner company some years ago.

Anyway, what i found out is that the wideband is only correcting fuel on one of the two banks, we found this out by looking at the narrowband sensors installed in the elbows, one was running rich as F and one was lean like the desert. My AFR according to the wideband was still 14.7 but my CO was horrible and it was spitting fuel out the exhaust :shock:

After looking closer it seems that the Haltech is only correcting/adjusting fuel to cylinder bank 1 and ignores bank 2? The map is based (almost identical) to the haltech basemap. I cant find any settings that would affect this myself either.
Any hints? Is this a bug in the software or wrong settings in the ECU manager?

Today we just ignore the wideband and run the car off two narrowbands and now it runs healthier and with much no fuel spitting out of the exhaust :o When selecting the narrowbands i can select 2 channels, but i can only select 1 channel / bank with the wideband since there is only 1 probe? I have purchased two widebands to replace both the narrowbands with two widebands in the elbows and run it like that that, and i assume that will work good, but i was just curious why it is/was behaving the way it was before?

Im running an Nissan R32 with RB26, Haltech Platinum Pro, firmware 1.13
As i said, it has been running this way for years and it runs Well, but no doubt the Engine has taken a heavy beating by this, cylinders 4-6 running 17 while cylinder 1-3 is at afr 12 :S

Bunkerfis

Re: Fuel correction by wideband on 2 banks?

Postby Bunkerfis » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:42 am

I will add more to this question .)

If you read the tooltip for the O2 controller and its Bank options it say the following:

Number Of Banks - Allows the user to set how the O2 Controller will operate across the engine.

On applicable engines, dual O2 sensors can be used, allowing up to two individual banks of cylinders to be controlled.
To work correctly, each bank must have its own O2 sensor.
By default, O2 Sensor 1 will always be assigned to Bank 1, and O2 Sensor 2 will always be assigned to Bank 2.
When the Number of Banks is set to 1, only O2 Sensor 1 will be used for O2 Control and the correction will be made to all cylinders.

Mine had 1 Sensor, O2 Sensor 1 as a Wideband, and it only corrected the fuel to Bank 1 and left Bank 2 crazy.
Is this a bug perhaps? I am on Firmware 1.13, maybe something wrong when it converts it?

As i said, i went back to Narrowbands (2 Banks) and the problem was "solved", but it still feels like it should work with 1 O2 sensor for both banks.

Bunkerfis

Postby Bunkerfis » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:47 pm

A third update on my own post :)

After talking to some experts and digging deeper into the logs, it seems that the ECU is actually correcting correctly, just that it (for obvious reasons) cant tell difference between banks or cylinders with only one O2 sensor. The problem seems to be mechanical, or a tuning issue at best, where the difference in fuel and/or air between the cylinders is different because of something else, could be "bad" injectors that needs individual settings (dead times, flow rates etc) on low rpm (the problem is bigger on lower rpm, under 4000 rpm mostly). Could also be difference in airflow etc. So im calling this a mechanical (seals, injectors, bad design etc) or tuning (injector settings, fuel compensation etc) and not a software issue

The recommended solution is what i was already going for, dual widebands, but as we might have all noticed the delivery times these days are far from awesome :o So the narrowband solution will have to do until i get my new hardware :)

Soo, kinda, problem solved, well, software question answered atleast :) There was no problem :)

I will add a screenshot from the logs too that shows that the correction is working on all banks and that the AFR is both terrible and good at the same time :) Just to show everyone reading what it was looking like

o2correction.png
o2correction.png (11.5 KiB) Viewed 734 times

JimKden

Postby JimKden » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:59 pm

Have you tried moving all the injectors from one bank to the other to see if the bank response follows the injector groups?

Bunkerfis

Postby Bunkerfis » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:20 am

JimKden wrote:Have you tried moving all the injectors from one bank to the other to see if the bank response follows the injector groups?

No i havent tried that, i know the injectors i have are not very good, decent at best i'd say, so they are also on the list of replacements / upgrades for the future :o Siemens DEKA 875cc, i cant remember the version (there are plenty of versions) arent known for being rock solid injectors afaik :)

When/if i swap the injector positions i will update you with the results :)
Might also want to look at the ITBs if the seal has failed or not, that is also a common problem on the RB26 it seems

Return to “Platinum Pro Plug-in”