Genesis BK Theta Voltage Dropping

Questions about the Platinum Pro Plug-in ECU's? Ask here.
dew1989

Genesis BK Theta Voltage Dropping

Postby dew1989 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:00 am

I am having two issues with battery voltage as measured in ECU Manager. First off, when cold, ECU Manager measures 0.3 volts less than actual battery voltage. This difference gradually increases as the vehicle is driven, after about 20 mins of driving, ECU Manager typically reads between 0.5-0.7 volts less than actual battery voltage.

I have measured the main fused "ECU" voltage (pin B6) throughout and it remains constant.

Any ideas?

Tommy Shelby

Re: Genesis BK Theta Voltage Dropping

Postby Tommy Shelby » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:44 pm

If you're comparing battery voltage at the ECU with what your measuring across the battery terminals you should keep in mind that you'll get a small voltage drop across the connectors and leads in your harness.

If you have a multi-meter handy you could probe the voltage closer to the ECU. You might find it actually is 0.3V less than at the battery terminals.

The resistance causing this drop will also increase a bit as things heat up which might explain why it drops a bit more after you've driven around.

If the discrepancy never goes beyond 0.7V than I wouldn't worry about it.

dew1989

Postby dew1989 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:06 am

I have measured voltage right at the ECU (pin B6 - "Constant 12V"). In an attempt to troubleshoot, do we know where/how the Haltech measures voltage? Is it not through pin B6 but perhaps another pin?

Battery voltage remains constant at almost exactly 14.0 V, but ECU voltage gradually varies from 13.8 all the way down to 13.0.

The main side affect of varying voltage is varying boost pressure, hence my concern.

Tommy Shelby

Postby Tommy Shelby » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:30 pm

I have measured voltage right at the ECU (pin B6 - "Constant 12V"). In an attempt to troubleshoot, do we know where/how the Haltech measures voltage? Is it not through pin B6 but perhaps another pin?

It's either that or Pin B4, which the QSG for your ECU labels as ECM +12V.

Return to “Platinum Pro Plug-in”