Problem with Haltech not turning on - Fixed

Questions about the Platinum Pro Plug-in ECU's? Ask here.
Z from Japan

Problem with Haltech not turning on - Fixed

Postby Z from Japan » Wed May 19, 2010 12:58 pm

A few days ago my R32 Plug-In Pro didn't start up right away when turning my car on. I had to turn the IGN switch on and off 4 or 5 times, then finally the blue light came on on the ECU and the car started up and ran fine, etc. Yesterday the ECU would not display the blue light at all. I unplugged it, plugged it back in, and still no blue light. Then I put the stock Nissan ECU back in, and the car started up fine. So today I swapped the Haltech back in and still it would not start. When I turn the key to IGN, the red and blue led's both flash once together for a fraction of a second but neither stay on, and the car won't start.
Any idea what this might be?

I notice that the Haltech plugs in to the engine harness much easier than the stock ecu. I wonder if maybe it is not getting a good solid power and ground connection. Is there any way I can test it for this? It has been working fine up until now.

Claudio

Re: Problem with Haltech not turning on

Postby Claudio » Thu May 20, 2010 4:05 am

You can try to see if the connector isnt fully inserted into the ECU by making sure the fitment bolt is tight, you can check wires for loose connections on them, etc..

Have you tried going online with the ECU before trying to simply starting the car and making sure the program is correctly done for your particular application, and that the ECU is reading proper rpms, and other sensor signals?

Or it just doesnt go online either when it presents this issue?
Claudio
[email protected]
Independant Haltech Sales & Tech Support

Z from Japan

Postby Z from Japan » Thu May 20, 2010 12:47 pm

The ecu will not go online regardless of what position the key is in the IGN, so I can't connect with it.
The last time it booted up, it took 4 or 5 turns of the ign key, the blue light finally came on, and I proceeded to work on the last tune that was loaded into it - (I tuned the transient throttle tables for the first time, and that was flat out awesome. The car ran so smooth and clean.)
The next day the ecu would not turn on at all or go online, and that is where I am at now.

Scott told me to check the IGN fuse and all the other fuses, as the stock ecu may be able to run with a blown IGN fuse by drawing power from other resources. I'll check that out later today and post the results here.

BRIAN MP5T

Postby BRIAN MP5T » Thu May 20, 2010 1:34 pm

Did you try jumping the ignition relay to see if it's the wires or the Relay.

Remove the relay and with a short piece of wire, make the circuit power the ECU.

Try to connect to the ECU. If it works, then the relay is not doing it's job. This can be done for all relays..

Z from Japan

Postby Z from Japan » Fri May 21, 2010 1:54 am

Unbelievable. HalltechScott called it spot on. One of my fuses was blown, one that I thought was unrelated to the IGN and ECU. I replaced it, now everything runs again.

It was a 20A fuse though....thats pretty beefy. I have a feeling this has something to do with my HID headlights. 20 year old engine harness doesn't help much either.

BIG THANKS, SCOTT! You really saved me!

HaltechScott
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechScott » Mon May 24, 2010 4:25 pm

Thanks for letting me know, I will put this in the book!
Kind Regards
Scott
[email protected] - [email protected]
Ph: +612 9729 0999
Please e-mail support directly for earliest reply.

Shiven

Re: Problem with Haltech not turning on - Fixed

Postby Shiven » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:57 am

Dragging this topic up from the dead but which fuse was blown? Having the exact same problem with my R33 GTR. Sometimes the LEDs on the ecu don't light up and I can't connect to the ecu. But then randomly the light comes on and everything is fine. I've checked all the fuses in the compartment under the steering, but everything is fine. Which pins should I be checking for power on the R33 pro plugin ecu?

Pesterrey

Postby Pesterrey » Tue May 14, 2019 3:25 am

Fixed the problem with the halltech ecu not turning on( no lights on top of the unit).
Skyline r33 gtst/ Halltech elite 2000.
It was the relay next to the oem ecu.
I changed it and voila problem solved.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue May 14, 2019 9:59 am

Sounds like the ECCS relay and this is a common thing to need to check.

Return to “Platinum Pro Plug-in”