Vq35 exhaust cam control

Questions about the Platinum Pro Plug-in ECU's? Ask here.
meatbag

Vq35 exhaust cam control

Postby meatbag » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:56 am

Anyone been able to get the exhaust cam control to work properly on the vq35 revup motors? I have tried some suggested settings from Haltech USA (P=60,I=65,D=0, Steady state = 27%) and lots of variations of this but the results are all over the place and the cam control is always very erratic and varies wildly from bank to bank. I have not seen this problem in the pro harness 350z box from before so whats the difference now?

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: Vq35 exhaust cam control

Postby HaltechMatthew » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:42 pm

The method for dialling in the cams (intake or exhaust) is to first get the steady state duty dialled in correctly.

Lift the RPM to something around 2000rpm so you have full oil pressure available. Enter numbers into the table, say 10deg, so that the target angle never changes and it always stays on this value. You might need to select a section of the table to do this. When the cams stabilise take note of the duty they require to stay stable. This is what you will enter for the steady duty. I would start with lower PI numbers. Too high will cause over-spiking and too low will be slow to respond. Start with maybe 20,20,0 and play from there. Take note that oil temp and viscosity will cause variations. I have seen oil supply issues to cam control solenoids before, which shows up as a vastly different duty where one side might need 40% and the other needs 85%.

meatbag

Postby meatbag » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:00 am

That is the method I have been trying to use. 8,10,0 with a 24% steady state gave me decent control when just holding the revs up but I have not been able to find anything that will work while driving without major overshoots. This is the exhaust cam side which has the magnet retarders.

Tran251

Postby Tran251 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:03 am

I’ve been chasing my tail with this issue for a few months now.
Is there a way to set the duty on one bank different from the other? Bank 1 is close but bank 2 hunts badly. Making the car bog when driving.
I’ve replaced both cam exhaust sprockets with the magnet retarders thinking that they were bad. Now I’m back to a tuning issue. Anyone have any luck tuning each bank separately? I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. Lol

accordfreak

Postby accordfreak » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:24 pm

Tran251 did you figure it out? If so, please share

Tran251

Postby Tran251 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:10 pm

accordfreak wrote:Tran251 did you figure it out? If so, please share

No I have not. I’ve spoken to a few tuner buddies and they said when this happens they’ll just turn the exh cams off. So totally no help. Lol
They said it’s due to the dual valve springs and higher lift than stock cams. .
I might just buy the jwt cam gears like meatbag (earlier in this post) did. Only get to dial once then that’s it.
Maybe just set for late power and cross my fingers. ?
It sucks that no one really knows the fix for this.
Anyone searching this later on, I’ve given up and turned off the exh cams.

Return to “Platinum Pro Plug-in”