McLaren M838T running Nexus R5

Joel_V

McLaren M838T running Nexus R5

Postby Joel_V » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:03 pm

Hi all,

I'll likely find myself asking for some support from you all on this forum over the coming months so thought I'd introduce my project here now ahead of time.

I've got an M838T from a wrecked McLaren 650S which I'm running with a Nexus R5, in the back of an old VW pickup ("ute" :wink: )

The folks at Haltech have been absolutely awesome with both supply and support and can't praise them highly enough, as I'm sure you've all experienced yourselves too.

I've ditched all of the original McLaren harness and have installed the Haltech harness, which is a lovely bit of kit. I sourced all the OEM connectors and spent this past week wiring it up ahead of first fire up last night. Great to hear it actually fire up without too much drama, albeing really rough however, it was without any exhaust system (so no o2 sensors) and no intake plumbing so wasn't expecting much.

The engine is 3800cc twin turbo V8, with a pair of DBW throttle bodies onto a single plane intake, 4x variable cams.

Gearbox I've mated to it is Audi/Lambo 6-speed manual so no electronics needed there :D

Short video of the fire up is on YouTube here - forgive the state of the wiring, now I've validated it works I'm removing it all and sleeving it properly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpNmFGD08_g

Thanks,

Joel

Joel_V

Re: McLaren M838T running Nexus R5

Postby Joel_V » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:24 am

I’ve just had a chance to go through the logs for this fire up and am impressed it ran as well as it did - the crank trigger signal goes to garbage at anything above 320 rpm (so looked fine while I was checking during cranking).

It’s a Lamborghini Gallardo flywheel/trigger ring but I’ve fitted a VW Transporter sensor (dimensionally it was correct - and already in my parts bin here). Evidently it doesn’t operate in the same way so I’ll try and source a proper Gallardo sensor.

Return to “Cars Running Haltech”