Log speeed hz seems slow?

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
Mobne_s13

Log speeed hz seems slow?

Postby Mobne_s13 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:24 pm

On some channels it looks like in the logs that they only are 5hz.

But it’s set at 50hz for example generic pressure sensor 1.

Still only changes every 200ms in the log.
I have the broadcast protocol so i can see the update frequency on everything transmitted.

Anyone ever felt the same issue?

It happens to more than one channel. Gets a really digital curve instead of a smooth analog one.

If a channel transmits in 20hz, I guess there is no need to overscan that channel with 50hz?

John V

Re: Log speeed hz seems slow?

Postby John V » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:35 pm

Are you logging internally or to a PC with a USB cable? The PC logging seems to log at an absurdly low rate, too low to be useful, and I can't figure out a way to increase it.

Drwaffles

Postby Drwaffles » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:36 pm

Yeah i don't use the PC Logger for pulls, only steady state stuff.
I doubt it's USB 3.0 (could be wrong) in which case there will be a relatively low limit to the data transfer speeds/poll rates.

Unsure about the haltech, but the Subaru SSM logger would slow down with the more channels being logged. If you wanted higher polling rates, would have to disable unnecessary channels.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Not all channels are sampled at the same rate, especially the generics. The speed of each channel can be tweaked by us and this is something we are assessing at the moment. But I know your response will be to make every channel refresh at a gazillion hertz but it just isnt possible for everything.

Logging over the USB will never be as fast as logging internally. For high speed logging you need to log to internal memory.

Mobne_s13

Postby Mobne_s13 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:00 pm

I’m logging with my dash because it has a 256mb memory compared to like 2mb in the elite.
The motec log viewer is also way better then the supplied data log 1.2

I only get like
10min worth of logs with it and that’s not useful
When you want a whole drive/laps logged??

My motec dash has capacity to log all channels transmitted over canbus at the highest rates at about 24h. So it’s always on. That way I can go back after a drive and check them.

The issue I have is that the canbus protocol says that the channels I only get updated every 200ms (5hz?) is transmitted at 50hz according to the document I got from Scott??

Rpm updates every 100ms, but the dash scanns the channel 50times per second.

How is that possible?
Attachments
Skärmklipp5.PNG
Skärmklipp4.PNG
Skärmklipp3.PNG

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:59 pm

The CAN transmit rate is not the same as the ECU calculation rate.
Internal memory and channel limit was expanded with the last firmware too, so there is a reasonable amount onboard. Not 256, but it is better.

Mobne_s13

Postby Mobne_s13 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:11 pm

HaltechMatthew wrote:The CAN transmit rate is not the same as the ECU calculation rate.
Internal memory and channel limit was expanded with the last firmware too, so there is a reasonable amount onboard. Not 256, but it is better.

What does that mean? :D

So the can transmit rates is not the rate the channel updates every second? Is it slower now in the new firmware compared to before?
What is the hz relating to in the cabus protocol? I really tought that was the update of those channels......

Please clarify for me. Can i do something to get it update fater? I mean the rpm updates for me about 10hz now and many other things at only 5hz. Thats pretty slow.

I would be happy with 20hz update rate. I dont need more, and im not asking for gazillion hz. I just feel like the resulution now is really poor, feels like it was better before??
I mean 200ms is a LOOOOONG time when we talk logging. And only have most channels updated at 5hz is not really useful. the graphs dont get smooth and i miss some fast spikes of data.
as said if you could atleast put them at 20hz (50ms) that would be alot better.

Mobne_s13

Postby Mobne_s13 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:12 pm

Maybe I got this wrong. But canbus at 1mbit should be able to transmit 15000 “frames”/second.

If all channels run at 25frames (hz) you should be able to transmit 600 channels at the same time at that speed.

Haltech sends around 200? So there should be no problem ever to update those at 25 times a second?

Can you please look in to how fast you send them now and please update the speed some.

I mean 5 times a second on most channels is damn slow for this bus speed.
Or is my info incorrect?

Just to compare a friend of mine with a motec system send 500 channels over his canbus with high frame rate/hz and he had no problem
What so ever with it. So that confirms my theory.

Mobne_s13

Postby Mobne_s13 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:57 pm

Do you have any more info for me on this?
I really need to get the update frequency up. Resolution is so poor now.

Return to “Elite Series”