H pattern gear indicator with pots

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
impelz06

H pattern gear indicator with pots

Postby impelz06 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Hi all, I am having a hard time trying to figure out how I can get the gear indicator function to see two sensors. What I was thinking is using 2 pots for x and y but it seems the software can only input 1 channel to make gear conditions. I then thought of a good idea to combine the pots in series or parallel. Turns out it would work for some positions but 2 or 3 gears depending on series or parallel would end up being the same value.

Is there a way to setup a generic input table with x and y values of the pots, then set the values either digitally 0 and 1 or raw values and have the gear function pull from that generic table?

I know I can use gear, speed and rpm but it would be really nice to have positive indication on the physical gear shifter.

impelz06

Re: H pattern gear indicator with pots

Postby impelz06 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:45 pm

I think I figured it out but let me know if I’m missing something.

So when I was thinking about wiring the x and y resistors in series or parallel I was using the same resistor values for both axis which would cause 3 of the 7 positions (6 gears + neutral) to have the same values.

If I use two different value pots for x and y, then all 7 positions would have different values. I could then calibrate the voltage for each position in the gear function settings.

Will this work? Thanks.

Nissanman

Postby Nissanman » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:20 pm

How about using micro switches with different value fixed resistors for each shift position?
The auto shifter in my Nissan Maxima uses this method although without any resistors.
Nissanman, just trying to help.....

impelz06

Postby impelz06 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:30 am

Nissanman wrote:How about using micro switches with different value fixed resistors for each shift position?
The auto shifter in my Nissan Maxima uses this method although without any resistors.

That is good idea and a switch bracket would be easy to fit. So this would allow the voltage to be varied low to high with 1st being lowest and 6th being highest for example. That would also be easier to setup in the gear function inputs.

Return to “Elite Series”