Knock Sensor Working?

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
Player0

Knock Sensor Working?

Postby Player0 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:16 am

Hey all,

So when I wired the Elite 1500 in to my 944 Turbo, I used the existing stock Bosch knock sensor as it was recently replaced and assumed good. When I idle the car in my driveway and checkout the spectrogram (turn it on of course), I see nothing.

Tomorrow when I have time I need to go check the wiring, make sure the sensor is actually connected correctly, and test the sensor itself. In watching youtube videos on the testing process, some people claim that some older sensors are 'resistor type'.

It got me wondering... is there a chance this knock sensor is an older design that isn't compatible with the Elite? It is a Bosch 261231006.

Secondly, I assumed I would see noise on the spectrogram even idling in the driveway. The Haltech video shows the sensor being tuned in 4th gear on the dyno. I'm just trying to make sure everything works for the tuner. Am I not going to see much idling?

Thanks,
Tom

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: Knock Sensor Working?

Postby HaltechMatthew » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:11 am

It depends on the type of sensor, but not seeing anything can be normal. Make the engine knock and see if it shows anything.

Player0

Postby Player0 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:12 pm

So I was able to verify that the knock sensor is connected correctly to the ECU by tapping on the sensor's bolt with an extension bar with the spectrum analyzer running.

But otherwise the analyzer shows only black. When I enable the 'make it knock' feature, nothing shows up. I have also tried revving a bit in the driveway with that feature enabled and I see nothing.

Is there a gain setting somewhere? Or does the engine need to have some good RPM, heat and load for even the 'make it knock' feature to work?

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:28 am

You need to make it knock to see it in the spectrogram, and you most likely wont get this to happen in the driveway.

Player0

Postby Player0 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:05 pm

Aha! Thanks much, sounds as close as I can get for the tuner.

Mobne_s13

Postby Mobne_s13 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:35 pm

HaltechMatthew wrote:You need to make it knock to see it in the spectrogram, and you most likely wont get this to happen in the driveway.

Will this work with E85?

Drwaffles

Postby Drwaffles » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:25 pm

Mobne_s13 wrote:
HaltechMatthew wrote:You need to make it knock to see it in the spectrogram, and you most likely wont get this to happen in the driveway.

Will this work with E85?

You'd be lucky to get E85 to knock even under full load in 6th gear let alone in the driveway :P
If you're seeing anything in the spectogram in the driveway it's likely just engine noise (Unless you've got some tip-in knock)

Mobne_s13

Postby Mobne_s13 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:41 am

Well I know you won’t make much detonation with out load. I was more curious if e85 knocks the same way petrol does and if you have any use for knock sensors with e85?

I have my sensors wired but I don’t use them for anything. No one ever talks about knock with e85..

Most often you can tune it against torque, when it does not give more torque you stop add timing.

Any one have facts about this?

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:44 am

It acts exactly the same way, just the threshold to make it knock is so much higher that it is harder to make it happen under safe conditions to configure it.

I would say that if knock control is something you really want then I would simply be draining the fuel and running it briefly on petrol to get the knock working correctly, then revert back to E85 and continue your tuning.

187Unlimited

Postby 187Unlimited » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:48 am

i would listen to Matthew, make it knock. advance the timing around the idle or lower portion of the map and step on the gas. it will knock. you can at least see the sensor without hurting the engine.

Return to “Elite Series”