Yamaha jet ski knock setup

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
mikeh983

Yamaha jet ski knock setup

Postby mikeh983 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:54 am

So bear with me on the rookie questions im familiar with the ps1000 on my kawasaki but the elite is new to me.

In the base map knock detection/threshold/control is already setup. Question is does the knock frequency vary motor to motor enough that i should set it up to knock and change the detection frequency to my specific motor? Or will the preloaded base map setup be good enough to protect me.

Also is there a place where i can look up or download specific setup instructions as far as basic/general setup things like the knock threshold (which i have very little understanding of in regards to setup) or latching the DBW TB and setting that up......

Long story short is the base map for the yamaha jet ski looks very conservative and I'd like to play with it some (baby step at a time) but i want to be sure i have whatever protection the ecu can provide as dialed in as it can be.

Im sure ill have more questions as i play some more..... thanks for your time

Mike

JimKden

Re: Yamaha jet ski knock setup

Postby JimKden » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:19 am

Go to the Haltech.com home page and look at the video on Knock Control. You have to calibrate for your engine.

mikeh983

Postby mikeh983 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:08 am

Yea i see that and have watched the video multiple times.

1. They gloss over threshold setup fairly quickly which is fine id like to read up on it myself.

2. They talk about a generic formula for knock frequency based on engine size etc. So is what's in the basemap (already setup) the generic info plugged in or did they test on a yamaha jet ski (im sure they did) and is that knock frequency in the base map applicable to all these particular motors or should i fine tune the frequency my motor makes? If i do need to change the frequency do i need to then redo the threshold?

mikeh983

Postby mikeh983 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:18 pm

So I found my reading material to study up on.

Only question now is if its necessary to setup the knock controls different then what comes in the base map

HaltechScott
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechScott » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:42 pm

Hi Mike,
The Yamaha base map has the knock threshold and frequency setup and calibrated on a stock engine. It is not necessary to adjust either of these settings on a stock ski.
This was done by adjusting the ignition timing to a level that you are sure the engine is not knocking, then logging the knock level and adjusting the knock threshold table so the threshold is about 5dB higher (to avoid and false knock).

The base ignition map uses fairly reasonable ignition timing values - Please be careful when increasing the ignition timing!
Remember to be logging the knock and to have the long term knock control enabled!
Kind Regards
Scott
[email protected] - [email protected]
Ph: +612 9729 0999
Please e-mail support directly for earliest reply.

Return to “Elite Series”