M3 e46 ABS canbus

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
Mobne_s13

M3 e46 ABS canbus

Postby Mobne_s13 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:57 am

Is it possible for the elite 2500 ecu to communicate with teves mk60 abs canbus?

I just want information from the unit to be useful in the ecu. That would be epic.

Anything that can be in a future update if it's not supported now?

Thanks

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: M3 e46 ABS canbus

Postby HaltechMatthew » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:09 pm

No plans. Never been asked until now. Honestly I would need a large number of people, and a test car, before it would even be considered.

LMS_689

Postby LMS_689 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:47 am

Open up the CAN bus for end user programming...
Haltech Parts and Accessories
Custom Harness Construction
http://www.lms-efi.com
[email protected]
502-515-7482

Mobne_s13

Postby Mobne_s13 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:55 am

Yes, its useless that there is no custom canbus setting like the motec has.
Forcing the users to Haltech specific canbus products is not the way to go :(

Mobne_s13

Postby Mobne_s13 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:47 pm

I know more people have requested the canbus support from the teves mk60 and unit from m3.

It’s a really popular unit to retrofit in cars because it’s a stand alone system.

Can you please add the canbus protocols for it?
It sends brake pressure front and back
And all 4 wheel speeds.
Also abs error.

This is some useful info.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:30 pm

This will get to be a long conversation.

Opening CAN will help the dozen or so people out there that know how to program it. The rest will ask us to do it for them and there is one problem.

The main problem for us is time, as always. We are working on the more popular requests at the moment, but all internal resources with regards to CAN support have been on supporting the Ford ECU that we have available. There may be some people asking for a particular ABS unit, but they are not 1000's of people asking for Ford Falcon support. Or even the hundreds who have been asking for 86/BRZ or even RX8 dash/ABS support. Both of them are being worked on at the moment alongside the Falcon. Without a test vehicle here it wont happen in the short term.

Mobne_s13

Postby Mobne_s13 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:59 am

I must say I’m impressed that people even use ford for performance?

But who I’m I to judge lol.

Haltech and ford who could ever guessed that.

If you said you where working on supporting the Nissan r35 I would understand it better. How did even ford make it to Australia? Hahah

Take this with a grain salt. I’m not that serious but it is a bit fun I think :)

AndrewJBecker

Postby AndrewJBecker » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:56 am

@HaltechMatthew

I know I am a little late to the party with this but I currently have a GT86 on the floor with another coming in shortly from the same customer. We are doing a motor swap to the F20C out of the S2000. The plan is to use an Elite 1500 but we have a couple of CAN bus related hurdles.

1) It is a race car so the standard dash is out which is good, racepac unit will be a simple drop in
2) ABS is allowed so we have been asked by the customer to keep the OEM unit working
3) We also have to use the standard EPAS unit

Both of these require certain CAN signals and as a result I am busy grinding my way through the CAN requirements. I am more than happy to share what I learn/setup however I really really need to be able to set up the CAN channels on the OBD can bus to make sure that the ABS, VSC and EPAS modules are getting the messages they need, otherwise I have to build a dedicated CAN module to lie to the ABS and EPAS. Fortunately I am pretty comfortable with CAN bus systems and have built them from scratch in the past for industrial applications but by the time I do all that I may as well save the time and potential frustration and buy a Motec which I don't particularly want to do.

I will give Scott a call a bit later - I'm in the UK so I'll have to call around midnight - and pick his brain on the issue but I do hope that there is something we can do because I am more than happy to feed all of our development back to you to use as you see fit and I am sure that I am not the only one.

Honey Justus

Postby Honey Justus » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:36 pm

+1 on configurable CAN receive templates. Many competing products are offering it nowadays.

Haltech gives us good value but i think configurable CAN is the next step foreward.

Maybe we can start a petition. How many do we need, Matt? :P

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:36 pm

The 86/BRZ CAN Support is already in the current firmware release.

Find a few hundred people needing custom CAN and I will convince the guys that it is important.

Mobne_s13

Postby Mobne_s13 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:33 am

HaltechMatthew wrote:The 86/BRZ CAN Support is already in the current firmware release.

Find a few hundred people needing custom CAN and I will convince the guys that it is important.

where can we sign up?

Drwaffles

Postby Drwaffles » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:05 pm

Do you want a petition on Change.org? I'll do it.
This would open up a lot of inputs for those of us who are running piggyback setups.

AndrewJBecker

Postby AndrewJBecker » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:06 am

I would like to see configurable CAN, it just makes the whole platform more attractive when the application is less common and more one-off. I've just fitted an S2k F20C engine to a BRZ and was just lucky that I could use the BRZ CAN config to get the power steering working. If not I would have had to use an alternative solution, possibly another ECU brand.

That said I would guess that a configurable CAN setup would put more strain on the tech support team in general.

Drwaffles

Postby Drwaffles » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:06 am

http://chng.it/DD6XjdF8pm

Only just made it, I'll let you know when we get a respectable amount of signatures. Naturally send it to any others you know feel this way.

As for workload, after it's development that may actually reduce as they don't have to spend further time on adding vehicles or channels to that list.

Hags86

Postby Hags86 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:48 pm

HaltechMatthew wrote:Find a few hundred people needing custom CAN and I will convince the guys that it is important.

Looking for current customers who want a feature upgrade isn't the way to evaluate this.

Look at the percentage of your market share and ask 'why are we selling more ?'. I can tell you I pass on Haltech every time when any CAN integration is required. You don't have a customer who wants a new feature, you have a competitor with a new customer.

Return to “Elite Series”