Miss with COP

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
irdave

Miss with COP

Postby irdave » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:45 am

Hello. I've got an Elite 1500 on a 2.3L 16v ITB BMW NA engine. I recently switched from the stock dizzy to COP and picked up a stumble. Stumble happens at idle, and most any constant rpm- especially constant, small throttle, driving around town type stuff. During acceleration everything seems to pull strong and smooth. At these small throttle positions, I show close to zero STFT and LTFT. (Less than 2% for either) Obviously it's possible that it's still there during acceleration, but so much is going on that it's no longer noticeable.

I've tried several sets of coils, both in my car and in my friend's car with the same setup (2500 vs 1500.) I've also tried his ECU with my tune in my car (same problem) and my tune in his car (no problem.) This appeared when I swapped to the COP, was fine with dizzy. So it seems to be something with my car / wiring harness (Haltech mega harness)- not that I think it's a Haltech harness issue- just an issue that I created somewhere along the line. Connectors are all DTM.

I started with reluctor sensors for both crank and home. Switched to hall sensors for crank and home with no change whatsoever. I pulled my harness and looked it over, didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Balanced and adjusted throttle bodies, replaced TPS and recalibrated, tried varying dwell time, found a couple vacuum leaks (repaired, obviously), tried different idle control settings with no joy, then just removed the ICV to help rule stuff out. Also turned off transient function- again, to rule things out. Deactivated the TPS, still stumble. I'm really at a loss.

Spent some time with Haltech USA plugged into my computer, and they were able to make it better, but again, it didn't solve the problem. I periodically will get P0641, P0642 (5v issues) which I cannot find, and also weren't around before the dizzy swap to COP.

Seems to be smoother if I throw a bunch of fuel at it, but it's still there.

Any thoughts at all would be welcome before I stick the dizzy back in. Thanks.

Apparently a file extension of .e1500-242 isn't valid to upload?

Comlb_4G63

Re: Miss with COP

Postby Comlb_4G63 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:58 am

A long shot but I wonder if its miss firing on one cylinder only. Does the engine have individual exhaust primary tubes where you could check with a infrared thermometer and see if you have a cooler cylinder? You could also trying pulling the plug off one coil at a time while running and see if makes a difference. I'd double check for proper grounding also.

irdave

Postby irdave » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:19 am

That's an idea- I have a thermal camera. It's not down a full cylinder, like when the engine is going dead. Earlier today I connected the timing light to each wire while it was stumbling and they all read about the same...

I've tried connecting the ECU ground directly to the battery as it's currently grounded to the chassis near where the engine / COP ground is located to see if it would make a difference. No joy.

Thank you.

vtecbrown

Postby vtecbrown » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:31 am

irdave wrote:Apparently a file extension of .e1500-242 isn't valid to upload?

Zip or RAR it first. It should upload then..

irdave

Postby irdave » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:05 am

vtecbrown wrote:
irdave wrote:Apparently a file extension of .e1500-242 isn't valid to upload?

Zip or RAR it first. It should upload then..

Thank you.
FML_dave_stumble.zip
(54.12 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

irdave

Postby irdave » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:46 am

Definitely nothing to do with the COP conversion. I've reinstalled the dizzy and it's still there. I've moved both the crank and the cam position signal bundles from under the intake to just over the top of the engine, just to see if the location mattered. It doesn't in this case.

Orangeblue

Postby Orangeblue » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:34 pm

Check the search, lots of thread regarding these DTCs.

From what i gathered, the DTCs are related to the 5V circuit not being 5V.
See last post, viewtopic.php?t=13534 .

Another thread, had noise form the Alternator/12V Power supply.
Again last post, viewtopic.php?t=13670 .

Also these DTCs seem to relate to a software bug.., you are on 2.42, maybe try a newer frimware.
'92 Opel Omega Wagon
'94 Opel Astra 'vert

irdave

Postby irdave » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:21 am

Orangeblue wrote:Check the search, lots of thread regarding these DTCs.

From what i gathered, the DTCs are related to the 5V circuit not being 5V.
See last post, viewtopic.php?t=13534 .

Another thread, had noise form the Alternator/12V Power supply.
Again last post, viewtopic.php?t=13670 .

Also these DTCs seem to relate to a software bug.., you are on 2.42, maybe try a newer frimware.

Thank you.

irdave

Postby irdave » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:51 am

To wrap up, it was the injectors I'd installed- either the injectors, the settings, something to do with the injectors. I reinstalled the original injectors, guessed at some dead times, and it immediately idled smoother at 800 rpm than it ever did at 1100 on the 'new' injectors.

So, nothing to do with installing COP on an engine from the 80's. (Other than the nut behind the wheel doing this much work on an old engine that was running fine before he started messing with it!)

Return to “Elite Series”