Evo 9 No Spark Assistance Request - Kiggly 12 tooth trigger

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
rschanaman

Evo 9 No Spark Assistance Request - Kiggly 12 tooth trigger

Postby rschanaman » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:33 pm

Hoping someone can help out!

I recently finished rebuilding my Evo 9 and have equipped it with Haltech IGN-1A coils and a Kiggly 12 tooth trigger wheel running a Haltech Elite 1500. I installed an OHM racing wiring harness that has a separate lead going to each coil but has the IGN in a wasted spark setup on pins A3 and A4. I am experiencing a no spark condition and have been unable to find the reason. I have configured the trigger and home settings as Kiggly recommends and am receiving an RPM signal and full sync under cranking (One tooth of the home wheel was cut off). Trigger settings and troubleshooting performed is below, I have a log file of cranking if anyone wishes to see it.

Trigger settings:
Trigger type: Generic - Multi-tooth - Single Tooth Home
Number if teeth - 12
TDC Angle - 70
RPM Filter - 1
Quick start - enabled

Trigger signal :
- hall effect
- falling edge
- filter level 1
- pull up strong

Home signal:
- hall effect
- falling edge
- filter level 1
- pull up strong

Troubleshooting performed:
- Confirmed constant 12v to coil pin E
- Pin D has 8-9v on it? I found this strange as it's supposed to be battery ground. I manually grounded this pin but it still wouldn't fire
- Pin B and C are confirmed negative (0v) connected to the head.
- Pin A receives the 5V signal for a second with key on or ECU restart but will not trigger while cranking
- Switched sensor type edges to all combinations (rising and falling)
- Changed TDC offset angle to 300 degrees as the Trigger sync offset was showing 300
- Confirmed both trigger and home edges "line up" while falling. (the oscilloscope function in NSP is pretty great).

Any ideas to try or help provided is greatly appreciated! I'm a bit over my head with the amount of wiring and trigger changes

JimKden

Re: Evo 9 No Spark Assistance Request - Kiggly 12 tooth trigger

Postby JimKden » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:09 am

It's not clear whether you checked for spark with a timing light.

rschanaman

Postby rschanaman » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:51 am

I tried the timing light then moved onto grounding the plug to the head where I could see it. I've also run a test probe on all of the coil pins while cranking.

JimKden

Postby JimKden » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:02 am

A friend burned out his IGN-1A coils by cranking without the plug grounded. i don't know how much cranking it takes before damage can occur. He bought new coils and was careful from then on and hasn't had any trouble with the coils.
It sure seems that if there is an rpm reading, then the coils should be firing.

wulfen

Postby wulfen » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:25 am

rschanaman wrote:Hoping someone can help out!

I recently finished rebuilding my Evo 9 and have equipped it with Haltech IGN-1A coils and a Kiggly 12 tooth trigger wheel running a Haltech Elite 1500. I installed an OHM racing wiring harness that has a separate lead going to each coil but has the IGN in a wasted spark setup on pins A3 and A4. I am experiencing a no spark condition and have been unable to find the reason. I have configured the trigger and home settings as Kiggly recommends and am receiving an RPM signal and full sync under cranking (One tooth of the home wheel was cut off). Trigger settings and troubleshooting performed is below, I have a log file of cranking if anyone wishes to see it.

Trigger settings:
Trigger type: Generic - Multi-tooth - Single Tooth Home
Number if teeth - 12
TDC Angle - 70
RPM Filter - 1
Quick start - enabled

Trigger signal :
- hall effect
- falling edge
- filter level 1
- pull up strong

Home signal:
- hall effect
- falling edge
- filter level 1
- pull up strong

Troubleshooting performed:
- Confirmed constant 12v to coil pin E
- Pin D has 8-9v on it? I found this strange as it's supposed to be battery ground. I manually grounded this pin but it still wouldn't fire
- Pin B and C are confirmed negative (0v) connected to the head.
- Pin A receives the 5V signal for a second with key on or ECU restart but will not trigger while cranking
- Switched sensor type edges to all combinations (rising and falling)
- Changed TDC offset angle to 300 degrees as the Trigger sync offset was showing 300
- Confirmed both trigger and home edges "line up" while falling. (the oscilloscope function in NSP is pretty great).

Any ideas to try or help provided is greatly appreciated! I'm a bit over my head with the amount of wiring and trigger changes

I am assuming you grounded pin D properly for all 4 coils during the other troubleshoots?

rschanaman

Postby rschanaman » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:56 am

I measured the coil ground on the inside of the car at the bulkhead and it was 0V. I disconnected the bulkhead connector on the engine side and reconnected it just for fun, the grounds went completely dead afterwards, no positive or ground to the exterior on pin D.

I just finished up bypassing the previous grounds in the harness and directly connected Pin D to the head. I HAVE SPARK, I'm working with OHM now to figure out the issue with the original grounds. Coils 1 and 4 seem to be operating normally but 2 and 3 are getting excessively hot, the car starts and runs briefly but has a heavy miss, I'm guessing because of those 2 coils.

rschanaman

Postby rschanaman » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:22 am

It may also be worth noting that it only fires on 300 degrees of TDC angle which is not anywhere close to what I've seen on other similar builds.

Return to “Elite Series”