Two things I can't figure out.

Questions about the Elite Software Programmer? Ask here.
float_6969

Two things I can't figure out.

Postby float_6969 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:09 am

I have a CA18DET. I'm looking at the 2500 and planning on staged injection, with 1 injector per intake valve (the CA18 has 8 intake ports, one for each intake valve). I've been familiarizing myself with the ESP software and it seems pretty intuitive. I played with it for a couple of hours last night and I think I got everything setup the way I wanted it with the exception of two things that I can't seem to figure out.

First I want to have the the secondary injectors activate when the Dual Intake Runner function is activated. Is there a way to correlate the two and I'm just not seeing it? I need it to work this way because the secondary injectors won't always have air flowing past them, so I need a way to make sure that those injectors aren't activated until the valves open and air is flowing. I think I could probably just make sure that the activation for the secondaries falls inside the "on" area for the DIR, but it would be nice to make sure that whenever the DIR is activated, so are the secondaries.

Secondly, I'm running a liquid to air intercooler system. I would like to have the ECU activate a fan relay (the radiator for the intercooler has it's own fans) when the coolant loop for the intercooler get to 20*F above ambient air temp and turn off when the coolant gets 10*F above ambient (or some variation of that). Is there a way to get the ECU to activate a DPO based on the temperature differential of two other sensors?

Any input would be appreciated! If I can get these two things to work in the ECU, I'm pretty set on switching to Haltech. I've been using a different standalone for 15 years now, and while it's served me well, things have changed so much that it's just not able to keep up with everything I want to do.

blakebonkofsky

Re: Two things I can't figure out.

Postby blakebonkofsky » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:01 am

The second one is easy. Just use a Generic Sensor input for your intercooler coolant temp, then set one of the Thermofans to use that sensor for it's temperature reading.

The first is less easy. You won't be able to use the built-in injector staging, and it would'nt be very "clean". It's more of a hack than solution. Is there any particular reason you want to do 8 injectors? Why not just run 4 like the OEM setup?

float_6969

Postby float_6969 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:02 pm

I tried doing it that way, but it just sets on and off points like a normal thermofan would. I need the fan to be based an a temperature differential of the coolant above ambient.
Example1; Ambient temp is 60°F. Intercooler temp climbs to 80°F. Fan activates until intercooler temp drops to 70°F then it turns off. So the activation is Ambient + 20°F, deactivation is Ambient + 10°F.

Example2; Ambient temp is 80°F. Intercooler temp climbs to 100°F. Fan activates until intercooler temp drops to 90°F then it turns off. So the activation is STILL Ambient + 20°F, deactivation is STILL Ambient + 10°F.

As for the reason for the injectors, I want to do it that way because the intake ports that don't have injectors on them get carbon fouled quickly because they never have any fuel cleaning them off. I've been running some Seafoam intake cleaner every 10K miles or so, but it wouldn't be needed anymore if every port had an injector. Plus you obviously have an easier time tuning idle with smaller injectors. Regardless, I'm pretty sure I can setup the staged so that it only operates in the open area of the Dual Intake map, it would just be easier the other way.

float_6969

Postby float_6969 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:43 pm

I called tech support in the US today and got some help. It's still not exactly what I want, but I think it's going to work well enough. For the intercooler fan, I set up a map on the output for the intercooler fan. It just plots ambient vs. intercooler temp. This still doesn't give me any hysteresis, so once I have everything installed, we'll see if it causes problems.

As for the staged injection, I didn't mess with it, but the tech guy seemed confident that getting the secondaries to only activate once the dual intake was activated wouldn't be a problem.

blakebonkofsky

Postby blakebonkofsky » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:25 pm

Got it, I didn't read closely enough. Ideally you'd need a math channel to determine the temperature differential, which is not currently available. As far as the hysteresis goes, you could set the minimum on and off times on the generic output to several seconds. It makes it time based and not temperature based, but it would at least keep it from short cycling if it happens to barely break a threshold.

float_6969

Postby float_6969 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:24 pm

I did set the minimum on and off to 10 seconds each, so it won't short cycle. It would just be ideal to have a Delta T or Delta P conditional.

Return to “Elite Software Programmer (ESP)”