Is Haltech CAN compatible with real-time torque telemetry sensors?

Questions about the Elite Software Programmer? Ask here.
ItzGenX

Is Haltech CAN compatible with real-time torque telemetry sensors?

Postby ItzGenX » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:19 am

I have a Haltech Elite 2500 running the latest ESP software. I am interested in getting a wireless torque strain gauge setup for real-time torque telemetry at each axle shaft. This opens up the door for on track/road tuning for all sorts of things that can't normally be worked out on a dyno. For some examples:

Seeing the exact torque value for traction limits of different track surfaces and conditions.
-Great for traction or launch control strategies, tire pressure changes, or corner balancing on any given race day.

Optimize part or full load timing.
-Think of it like an onboard dyno.

Datalog torque at varying conditions.
-Great for analyzing data and making improvements either in the tune up or driver learning.

Help detect drivetrain or braking issues.
-By looking at historical datalogs, you'll be able to see how much normal braking and driving forces look like versus a specific tune up. This can help see a breakage or failure before it happens.

Know when you're down on power.
-Investigate mechanical issues.
-Catch a 'spun bearing' before it spins and tells you knock knock jokes.
-Maintenance or rebuild indicator.

The unit(s) I am interested in are from Izze Racing:
http://www.izzeracing.com/ewExternalFiles/Izze_W_SGAMP_V2_Datasheet.pdf

The datasheet goes into the CAN specifications, but I know nothing about all the different possible CAN profiles and communications. Does anyone know if this will work with Haltech software/hardware?

Mobne_s13

Re: Is Haltech CAN compatible with real-time torque telemetry sensors?

Postby Mobne_s13 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:52 am

Im just curious, where exactly do you install that component to see the torque the driveline makes?

If you want the answer on the canbus with haltech, its NO. It's not compatible at the moment. Rumors say some time in the future, maybe many years away. It could be possible. But don't expect it to be.

ItzGenX

Re: Is Haltech CAN compatible with real-time torque telemetry sensors?

Postby ItzGenX » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:25 am

Mobne_s13 wrote:Im just curious, where exactly do you install that component to see the torque the driveline makes?

If you want the answer on the canbus with haltech, its NO. It's not compatible at the moment. Rumors say some time in the future, maybe many years away. It could be possible. But don't expect it to be.

I think I am going to take a detour and make own torque sensing unit with arduino microcontrollers. That way I can have it spit out analog voltage or digital frequency and get around the whole CAN protocol.

As for where to install, you can place shear strain gauges on each axle shaft or driveshaft (with adhesive). Optimally, on the axle shaft would be best as it sees less RPM with a smaller radius equating to less centrifugal force the electronics and battery will have to cope with. The strain gauge is a simple little wheatstone bridge that looks like a tiny piece of tape with resistor grid circuits laid in it. The resistor grids are laid in a way that they are opposite of each other and cancel each other out when at rest with the same voltage input, think of it as an arm wrestle stalemate. During stress movements, one will have less resistance than the other, allowing for a small voltage reading to be output to the other end. Adhering the strain gauge to a metal surface can detect the tiny amounts of micro strain or fatigue the metal goes through. It is basically reading the elastic twist in the metal shaft which can be calibrated simply by adding a known amount of torque to it. As long as the shaft hasn't been permanently deformed from its resting position, it should spring back to rest which is calibrated as zero. Shifter strain gauges for ignition cuts etc operate in the same way except it is measuring a different axis for bending when pulling or pushing on the shift knob. Digital scales operate the same way.

In fact, if this works out, I'll go ahead and make myself some corner scales to weigh the car!

Return to “Elite Software Programmer (ESP)”