Thermofan question

Questions about the Elite Software Programmer? Ask here.
azfiveoh

Thermofan question

Postby azfiveoh » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:07 am

I am in the process of upgrading my cooling fan to a brushless and plan to use a duty cycle output instead of a switched output. When I change the output type to duty cycle in the software the option to disable the fan above a selected speed becomes inactive. I am using coolant temp as the trigger source with the duty cycle progressively increasing as the coolant temp increases.

Is it possible to turn the fan off above a a selected speed while using a duty cycle output?

JimKden

Re: Thermofan question

Postby JimKden » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:52 pm

Add another axis to the thermofan duty cycle table that uses road speed.

azfiveoh

Postby azfiveoh » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:38 am

I don't see an option to add an axis in the thermofan duty cycle table menu.

aus jd 2703

Postby aus jd 2703 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:43 pm

believe you will need to set it up as a generic output , and then set up your axis as temp on one and speed on the other, you will lack the ability to have a hysteris to my knowledge however i have done this to override the fans when turbo timer is engaged and it works.
(ignition off = fans run constant)

azfiveoh

Postby azfiveoh » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:20 am

aus jd 2703 wrote:believe you will need to set it up as a generic output , and then set up your axis as temp on one and speed on the other, you will lack the ability to have a hysteris to my knowledge however i have done this to override the fans when turbo timer is engaged and it works.
(ignition off = fans run constant)

Thanks for the reply.
Thermofan hysteresis is something I would like to have along with the ability to activate the fan with the A/C. I'll continue to use the Thermofan output and the fan can cycle on and off as needed at speed.

Topfun99

Postby Topfun99 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:05 pm

I've run into the same problem, wanting to have another axis variable to control the fans while using the thermo fan function. I honestly don't understand why they don't have the option for a 2nd or even a 3rd axis. In my case I want to turn my fans off while making a pass down the track since the cooling system doesn't need fans during that brief time.

Yes, I've gone to a generic function to "solve" the problem but rather use the channel designated for the fans.

JimKden

Postby JimKden » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:08 am

[quote=Thermofan hysteresis is something I would like to have along with the ability to activate the fan with the A/C. I'll continue to use the Thermofan output and the fan can cycle on and off as needed at speed.[/quote]

There is a check box in the Thermofan function to turn it on when the A/C is on. The A/C function then needs to be active and set up. I don't have A/C but use the feature wired thru a manual switch to send 12 to the A/C function as if the A/C was turned on.

Return to “Elite Software Programmer (ESP)”