How do I read the base fuel map?

Questions about the Elite Software Programmer? Ask here.
TerryFMJ

How do I read the base fuel map?

Postby TerryFMJ » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:03 am

Fuel Map.jpg
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, and there will probably be a lot more. I'm completely new to the EFI world and trying to learn as much as I can. I need some help reading the fuel map.

Question 1. What does Fuel Load psi mean?
Question 2. What does that number that's highlighted mean, 61.9? I have the setting as Volumetric Efficiency, but I don't understand what it means.

I've been all through the help menu by pressing F1, but didn't find any answers. I've also been doing a lot of google searching on how to read a fuel map, but haven't found anything. Just need some help in understanding what I'm looking at.

Thanks to you all,
Terry

JimKden

Re: How do I read the base fuel map?

Postby JimKden » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:32 am

1. Fuel Load - Look on the setup, fuel. There is a box that tells what parameter is selected to identify the Fuel Load Type. So for instance it MAP Sensor has been selected, then the Fuel Load axis on the Base Fuel Table represents the MAP sensor reading, Likewise if MAF then MAF or TPS if TPS.

2. Again look at the Fuel tab in Setup - There is a box labeled Tuning Method, if it shows Volumetric Efficiency, then the number in the Base Fuel Table represents.

TerryFMJ

Postby TerryFMJ » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:48 am

Hello JimKden,

Thank you for responding. I think I understand what you're saying. So, I have my Tuning Method set to Volumetric Efficiency and I will be using a MAP Sensor for the fuel load type. So when I look at this picture of my fuel map is it telling me that at 4000 RPM, with the manifold pressure being 8.7 PSI, each cylinder should be 72.9% filled with the fuel/air mixture?

Fuel Map.jpg

I do apologize for sounding ignorant, but honestly, I am completely ignorant on EFI.

Terry

JimKden

Postby JimKden » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:22 am

I believe it is 72.9% of the theoretical air that would be in the cylinder if the pressure in cylinder was at 8.7psi. However, the pressure was measured in the manifold so that measurement is adjusted by the ECU calculation.

At other manifold pressures, the air has different velocity in the intake runners and along with pressure waves to increase or decrease the volumetric efficiency.

TerryFMJ

Postby TerryFMJ » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:39 am

Hello JimKden,

Thank you so much for your explanation!!!! I'm really beginning to understand this whole map thing.

Take care,
Terry

Return to “Elite Software Programmer (ESP)”