Electronic wastegate support?

Questions about the Nexus Series ECU's? Ask here.
datsr20

Electronic wastegate support?

Postby datsr20 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:01 pm

Was poking through the map software the other day and I don't see any indication that there is support for electronic waste gates. Am I missing something or can we really not use the H-Bridge outputs for controlling electronic wastegates? I'd love to get get rid of fiddly gate springs and 4 port solenoids to get a nice broad boost range and am truly surprised if haltech's top of the line ecu can't drive ewgs.

Orangeblue

Re: Electronic wastegate support?

Postby Orangeblue » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:02 am

'92 Opel Omega Wagon
'94 Opel Astra 'vert

datsr20

Postby datsr20 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:18 pm

Yah I've seen the video, but I've not seen any word from haltech nor turbosmart about how they were controlling the thing. In the NSP I don't see any obvious signs of support nor do I see any documentation about how perhaps a generic table could be used to drive the thing.

Would be nice if that was documented and/or officially supported somewhere.

datsr20

Postby datsr20 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:27 pm

Bump

Jdaniels

Postby Jdaniels » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:00 am

I spoke with a Haltech engineer about this...

While the Nexus does have H-bridge outputs you could utilize, they cannot handle the potential amp requirements of the valve. He also questioned the reliability of the valve itself and noted that any controls for such would be done with Generic I/O. i.e. no native support built in.

Lastly, he said it was more of a "Nerd Novelty" (his words) at this point as the development thus far has not proven it any better or more reliable than traditional setups.

TSupra123

Postby TSupra123 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:10 am

Bringing this back up to ask further questions.

Amp requirements at 80psi are 18amps with the valve holding fully closed. They list 20amps as a "highest potential load" however they've stated normal operation of the valve should be 8-12amps in most cases. The nexus r5 can easily handle this, and they' showed it controlling the gate at PRI.

I guess now that these have been in production for awhile with the release of 40 & 50mm variants even, does Haltech plan to support this? I don't see the necessary functions in NSP to support it, but I've been seriously considering going this route. Turbosmart did discuss the idea of releasing a separate box to control it using low-side pwm from the ecu. I think this is a good idea for ecu's which don't include the high-side outputs like the nexus.

comotors

Postby comotors » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:38 pm

Bumping this up. Google provides nothing but old news about running an Egate with the Nexus R5. What's the story now that these gates are proving themselves in the wild?

darkstar

Postby darkstar » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:18 am

Also interested in real world news / info on the turbosmart e-gate and how they compare to Co2 boost controllers and aftermarket standalone boost computers. Is there any benchmarking, datalogs or dyno results compared to pneumatic?

Bigpermgarage

Postby Bigpermgarage » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:48 am

It looks like Fueltech has released a driver to be able to run these electronic wastegates...
I have been working on a Barra swap into my 02 Mustang with plans to run an E-gate and a Haltech Pro Plug in ECU but I worry that either support wont be available in time or the plug and play wont be included in the support/update for the E-gate.

yochu20

Postby yochu20 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:55 am

I recently got my hands on one of these and would love to see direct support for it, or maybe some direction as to how to use a generic/existing control strategy that exists on the Nexus R5 to drive the gate. I thought it was already built in based on some of the videos and articles circulating, but it seems that may not be the case.

Not just fueltech that added support, Emtron also added electronic wastegates to their KV 12 and KV 16 ECUs (saw it on their facebook page).

On a side note, I also realized that I got one of the older revision gates. The turbosmart documentation lists a second revision that has a blue wire in addition to the other 6 that is meant for a PWM control signal. I wonder if that would make it possible to use some existing/generic control strategy on ECUs that may not have direct support. Unfortunately the turbosmart docs don't go into any greater detail about it. Anyone know anything about it?

Bigpermgarage

Postby Bigpermgarage » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:59 am

Very interesting about the blue wire. Makes you wonder if you could manage to control it with a factory computer that already has some boost control functions from the OEM :?:

dale_che

Postby dale_che » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:03 am

the blue wire is not for PWM control its for PWM valve position, you have the choice of using the PWM or the 0-5v to give the ecu the valve position

Return to “Nexus”