Multi-position CAN Keypad buttons?

Questions about the Nexus Series ECU's? Ask here.
Kenny240

Multi-position CAN Keypad buttons?

Postby Kenny240 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:28 pm

I'm sure the title is quite confusing. However, In one of Haltech's more recent YouTube videos, they show the R35 with a boost button that seems to turn on in different states, based on how many time's it's pressed, yet there's no mention of how this was setup in the software. None of the videos currently show how this could be setup either. I'm currently trying to setup a couple of tables that I'd like to use the 2 spare buttons on my CAN keypad for axis, based on their "positions".

as an example. I'd like to have 3 different driveshaft target speed settings for advanced torque management, based on the tires I have on the car. one for street tires, one for drag radials, and another for slicks. At the same time, I'd also like to have varied desired-wheel-slip percentages based on the position of a second button so I can have multiple traction control settings (something like, rain and dry, possibly an intermediate setting as well for a little bit of sliding.)

I don't have the real estate in the console of the car to add 2 trim pot switches, nor do I need more than 3 positions for each function, so a 12 position knob is a bit much. Since I have all of my other keypad buttons setup the way I want them, I'd love to make use of the 2 remaining buttons and setup something like what Scott was showing in the video about controlling boost and power.

I'm currently using NSP V1.20.1, which says it's the latest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Ken

Comlb_4G63

Re: Multi-position CAN Keypad buttons?

Postby Comlb_4G63 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:50 pm

On the Main Torque Management Configuration Screen, Turn on the Torque Management Knob. Then under Torque Management Wiring Select Digital-Switched as your Input Type. Then select your Keypad button you wish to use. Set the Button Mode to Momentary. Back on the Main Torque Management Configuration Screen Change the Input Style to Single Input. Set the Max Position to your max number of positions, 3 for example would be positions 0 through 3 or 4 total positions. Then change the Input Light Mode to Dot to function like the video. Finally enable a second axis to the table you would like the button to change based on button position. Enter your values starting with 0. So if you used my example above you would have 0,1,2,3 as your Values. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Kenny240

Postby Kenny240 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:47 am

Thank you! That works well for the torque management. I may also be able to use that same button for traction control since torque management is only going to be used at the drag strip. That still leaves me with 1 extra button; but I’m sure I’ll figure something out that I can do with that.

Kenny240

Postby Kenny240 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:27 am

Ok, so, just as a follow up, with a little more tinkering with this. Taking the advice of Comlb_4G63, and playing with a few more settings in NSP. I have found that this same trick works for any rotary trim know you have setup in the system. So, if you want you can use up to 7 CAN keypad buttons this way. 6 setup as generic rotary trim knobs, and 1 as a torque management knob.

Thanks again to Comlb_4G63 for the help, and for leading me down the right path to get all of the last few things I wanted to setup in the software. Now to start getting them all calibrated right.

Comlb_4G63

Postby Comlb_4G63 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:33 am

I'm glad you got it all figured out and thank you for sharing what you learned!

Return to “Nexus”