Extended CANBUS control & Maybe a Android app?

Questions about the Nexus Series ECU's? Ask here.
BulletRemedy

Extended CANBUS control & Maybe a Android app?

Postby BulletRemedy » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:19 pm

It's a typical Haltech thing, being innovative and yet behind the curve all at once!
Still no Android app for ECU control or even system monitoring, What a shame, but hey maybe in the future (distant Future)

Also, would love to know if people can integrate other CANBUS dials and pads? I'm getting more and more interested in the

"Greyhill TE-M32M5-A12U" C.A.N. rotary dials to switch screens and select various things controlled by the nexus for a much safer driving XP, instead of shoving my hand through or around the steering wheel. This Dial has a LCD display which can make selecting various profiles, boost settings or pretty much any other setting via CANBUS and people can locate them in a much safer place.

Also, a great thing would be Haltech making a Display Processor (control box) so people could select a display size and resolution of their liking and just connect it to a Haltech Display Box, Kind of like people buy and choose different monitors for the Computers, but in this case Display for their car, there and some pretty wild displays out there, which by far surpass Haltech's simple screen by over a decade! People could even run 20" wide and 7" tall displays, like some new cars are now starting to use. This not only would be a money saving and intuitive product by Haltech but also the people who want to use such a device, instead of paying 5K for a Motec 1212... Before anyone mentions, this is a possible thing to have a UI based on screen resolution and DPI (scale)

Just reply anything as a simple Vote and maybe Haltech will wake up and smell the beans?

I love my Nexus R5, is pretty much the only ECU that can Natively (without expansion) support my 18 Injectors, which was the primary reason I selected it. But so many things just taken Half way or not fully thought out. So If they really want to innovate, it's time to look outside the box a little!

dale_che

Re: Extended CANBUS control & Maybe a Android app?

Postby dale_che » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:51 pm

andriod app will never happen, why would they invest time and money into something maybe 1% of users would use,

open can has been talked about and im sure will happen on day, but once again its not something that is put at the top of the to do list when its a lot of time and effort when 95% of users wont ever use it...

BulletRemedy

Postby BulletRemedy » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:57 pm

The fact that these issues have been raised and talked about, mean the 1% figure you mention is a massive swing in the dark! in saying that, why does the top 5 ECU makers support Android as a secondary method of monitoring and even some sort of basic tuning?

As for Open CAN again, Motec and ECU masters have a CAN app package for custom firmware and other extra that can be utilized, although Motec's Package is priced higher that the ECU itself, but Motec's been doing that for years!

Beside the wild speculation mentioned, I think people will use it when it's available, you're usually not buying a R5 for a small build and not having something that is become more and more common on Modern ECU's is a bad way to do business, when engineering extras usually bring a profit and almost never a loss in the aftermarket! This kind of mentality is what holds back progress and portrays a lack of community engagement, it's like trying for second place! Even small ECU manufacturers have these features and just from looking into the take-up of these products you can plainly see their popularity rise, which in turn means more money in the Companies pocket and more R&D and features being used! The possibilities of having an open CAN package are almost endless! As for Android apps, it not only opens up ways of reading and logging data remotely, but would be a massive forward direction into other innovations and easy of use!

I think people who immediately dismiss such ideas are insanely short-sighted and have a lack of understanding into the benefits to such things and unfortunately this is why a fair whack of big builds, pro or club level end up moving to other Manufacturers because Haltech always seem to go up to 80% of a complete product! They are the king of Expansion modules...

dale_che

Postby dale_che » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:38 am

the ideas may be short sighted in your eyes because your eyes are focused on that, who are the top 5 that support andriod tuning? motec dont, hatech dont, link dont, emtron dont, i think your throwing figures around to once again to try and make your point look more important than what it actually is. considering apple has a higher population user base going off your way of thinking apple should be done first anyway...

i can tell you not one of my customers would use an app to do anything on their cars, maybe 1 or 2 might use custom can stuff,

custom can will happen sooner or later, but there are more important things to be done first that 100% of users will benefit from. i will always ask them to do stuff that benefits 100% of users than stuff that benefits a small % of users..

i also used to see things like you, then i realized how things like this work, if they did every little thing everyone wants for the very small % of users they would never get the big stuff done that everyone needs and everyone would be worse off as a result of it,

BulletRemedy

Postby BulletRemedy » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:46 pm

1st of all, my reply and initial post may sound a fair bit Arrogant, please don't take it that way, or a tad aggressive, so if it has come across like that, I apologize. As for the Andoid app, I truly think that at the least, logging and monitoring should be on the books for something to have as a feature, I do agree, it certainly isn't at the top of importance and I don't believe it will ever be, but the option should be there. As for the manufacturers, most are 3rd party apps and I think only Link, MaxxEcu and ECU masters has an app built by themselves.

As for Open CAN, there are hundreds of options and possibilities, not only for the Tuners but for the customers too, even at the very basic level of being able to monitor and control (VIA a visual UI) things like the Air Conditioning in full custom-builds via a Tablet or touch screen will bring peoples builds into the 2020s. My option is being able to integrate the TE-M32M5-A12U not only for Tune/map selection but also for navigation and things like AC control among hundreds more possibilities should be considered. Even an Immobilizer and alarm function could be implemented, so much more advanced control could be had with such an implementation.

That and OEM integration for people with new cars that not only want the OEM LCD dash to work, but to have more control and customization at their fingertips should also not be overlooked. I'm sure Haltech engineers have way more ideas and detailed methods for this that just my basic AF idea, but for the premium product line there should always be a choice and rarely a request!

I've also been trying to manipulate the IC-7 dash code (QT) so I can run a different resolution and DPI so that I can change the screen to a 14" ultra-wide and still have a visually functional display, so far I've had decent success in changing resolution and manipulating DPI settings, but the way it's coded there's no primary control code for that and pretty much every widget and page needs its own DPI and resolution code modified! Maybe soon I'll be able to post up some results and demos, but that still a fair bit off!

dale_che

Postby dale_che » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:36 am

the nexus has 3 can busses, im sure you will be able to do the can config for OEM stuff at some point in time,

lots of guys playing with IC7 stuff which is cool for sure,

Return to “Nexus”