User Configurable CAN-bus Control

Spaceman Spiff

User Configurable CAN-bus Control

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:53 am

I just wanted to add another vote to this request -- I'm a new Elite 1500 user and the lack of CAN customization that is easily handled by a (in my opinion inferior) product like MS3 really made it a tough decision for me to move over (although clearly I ended up getting past it for now).

In any case, I like to tinker and with the low cost of Teensy-type micro-controllers capable of easy CAN communication in addition to high speed digital comm buses to interface with various ADCs, DACs, toggle switches, etc. without eating up valuable ECU pins, the lack of a user customizable option gets me down! E.g. I would love to translate serial to CAN on a Teensy to interface an AEM wideband I already own and have installed with my new Elite in a digital fashion -- I wouldn't be a potential WB1 customer anyway (unless yall start supporting LSU ADV which would be swell), so I'm just stuck flapping in the wind with a noisy and less reliable 0-5v signal...this one hurts when the software supports closed-loop learning in such an excellent fashion!

I'm sure there could be a plethora good reasons why developing or adding this to the ESP software is infeasible without a time/technical investment that far outweighs any economic reasoning, however outwardly, and from what I've been able to find on these forums, it certainly appears as if the capability exists in the software/firmware/ecu to some degree, but the company has just made the decision that it's easier to support and perhaps more profitable to take a haltech-branded-or-the-highway approach to CAN accessories (and that makes me sad).

Spaceman Spiff

Re: User Configurable CAN-bus Control

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:03 pm

Just wanted to add to the record for those who come across these forums looking for CAN protocol options (like I did). It would seem that upon actually, you know, asking (via email), Haltech is willing to provide their proprietary CAN structure (i.e. what they use for their accessories) for you to tinker with to your heart's desire. This solves the roadblock for 95% of what I wanted to do, and I must commend Haltech on their willingness to work with the community. It's almost like customer service is part of the reason I bought an Elite 1500 in the first place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

cmcraeslo

Postby cmcraeslo » Fri May 07, 2021 2:44 am

I don't know whether the 2nd post was sarcasm or not, but I'd too like to send custom data to Elite. In my case, I'd like to send EGT temperatures from my custom device to the Elite 2500. Is this something that is possible to do?

If you got the info, I'd be most grateful if you could share it. Thanks!

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Sat May 08, 2021 1:03 pm

My apologies, the second post was not sarcasm, if you reach out to the support email for you region it is my understanding that Haltech is happy to share their CAN protocol specifics. I won't post them public facing, but do reach out to your support contact. E.g. you can measure with your own thermocouple amplifier, and then send the EGT data to the Elite ECU over CAN Bus by emulating the message protocol of the Haltech TC4/8. Ditto for the AVI/DPI/DPO of an I/O expansion box. Talk about some excellent customer service!

Return to “Feature Requests”